Securing Your WebEx Room
Lock the Room
- Meetings in your Personal Room can be configured from your Preferences to automatically lock after a defined number of minutes after the start of the meeting, or locked by the Host at any time. With Scheduled Meetings, the Host can lock the room after they join.
- The Host can choose which attendees they would like to admit from the lobby.
- Attendees that are expelled from a meeting will wait
in the lobby if they attempt to rejoin.
- Caveat for Locked Meetings – Attendees are unable to join by phone while a meeting is locked. Attendees that need to join a locked meeting by phone should join from a computer or Webex mobile app first and then provide their attendee ID when calling.
Disable Attendee Sharing
While in a meeting, the Host can turn off “Anyone can share” from the Participant Menu. After changing this setting, the Host can change an attendee’s role to be the Presenter. This can also be done by dragging the Presenter ball to their name from the Participant list.
Use Scheduled Meetings Instead of Personal Room
Using Scheduled Meetings will provide a randomly generated URL for each meeting, which cannot be easily targeted by would-be attackers. While Scheduled Meetings are great for any type of meeting, Personal Rooms are great for quick, ad-hoc meetings. These use a static URL based on your Global ID that can be easily targeted.
- Require attendees to have an account on our Webex site in order to join the meeting.
- Exclude the meeting password from email invitations.
- Participant privileges: Restrict what attendees can do within the meeting.
- Disable the ability for attendees to request control of shared content.
- Disable the ability to view the participant list.
- Restrict who attendees can privately chat with.
- Make a template – Once you’re comfortable with the scheduling options for your classes, save the options as a template so that you can easily use them in future meetings.
A Few More Tips for Success
- Shut down unnecessary applications before your meeting. Connect to your meeting 5-10 minutes early.
- Avoid visual distractions in your work area. If possible, use headphones to cut down on background noise.