Weeks of Welcome
Welcome to CMU! Check out all the events planned for you during Weeks of Welcome!
Friday Aug. 25
7:30 p.m. CMU Program Board Movie: The Little Mermaid, Kramer/Deromedi Field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium
- Spend a night Under the Sea with CMU Program Board as they host the live action remake of Disney’s The Little Mermaid on Kramer/Deromedi Field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.
8:00 p.m. Door Stop Decoration & Door Wars, Beddow Lobby (Funded by RHA; Open to all residence hall students)
- Come out and decorate your own door stop and learn about the door wars program and how to get involved in your residence hall in Beddow.
10:00 p.m. Craft Night, Sweeney Basement (Funded by RHA; Open to all residence hall students)
- Craft night is a night to welcome residents old and new to commemorate the 2023-24 academic year with tie-dye shirts, door stop painting and door decoration creation!
9:00 p.m. Movie Night, Merrill Basement (Funded by RHA; Open to all residence hall students)
- Come join us for a movie with a delicious DIY popcorn bar to kick off the semester! Hope to see you there!
11:00 p.m. Door Stop Painting, Merrill Lobby (Funded by RHA; Open to all residence hall students)
- Come join us in the Merrill Lobby as we paint our door stoppers. This is a perfect way to relax and personalize your space even more. We can't wait to see you there!
11:59 p.m. Smooth Sailin into the Semester, Sweeney Basement (Funded by RHA; Open to all residence hall students)
- Come make an ICE CREAM FLOAT to get into the Smooth Sailin' into the Semester mindset! Build your own COLLEGE SURVIVAL KIT too! We will have all of the college student essentials: ramen noodles, school supplies, snacks, and more!
Saturday Aug. 26
7 -10:00 p.m. RecFest, Student Activity Center (SAC)
- RecFest is an event designed for YOU! Get introduced and excited about what programs and services that the Student Activity Center (SAC) and University Recreation offer. Join us during your “down-time” through a night of fun games, giveaways, music and refreshments that will inspire you to begin your healthy journey at CMU.
9:00 p.m. Jeopardy and Minute to Win It Games, Merrill Lobby (Funded by RHA; Open to all residence hall students)
- Play Jeopardy to learn more about CMU and Merrill Hall. Also join your community in Minute to Win it Games to get to know each other and win prizes!
10:00 p.m. Movie & Pancake Night, Beddow Lobby (Funded by RHA; Open to all residence hall students)
- Join the Beddow community as we host Movie & Pancake Night to welcome new and returning residents into the community, encourage peer learning and enjoy pancakes and a movie in the process.
10:00 p.m. BBQ & Hustle, Sweeney Basement (Funded by RHA; Open to all residence hall students)
- Come celebrate the fall semester with food, new faces and great music! Come with a smile on your face and your favorite dance moves! Don’t forget to practice your line dances and the Tamia shuffle.
11:00 p.m. Game Night, Merrill Lobby (Funded by RHA; Open to all residence hall students)
- Come by and enjoy a night of board games and card games, with an opportunity to meet some staff members, as well as other residents.
Sunday Aug. 27
4 - 7:00 p.m. MainStage 2023, Franklin Street
- Come out and learn more about student organizations, fraternities and sororities, club sports, local businesses, and campus departments at our annual MainStage event! Not only will there be free swag, free food and a lot of fun events, but MainStage will help you find your home here at CMU! Whether that's joining Greek life or a club sport, MainStage is the bridge to finding an organization that is the perfect fit for you. Don't miss out!
7:30 - 10:00 p.m. MainStage Block Party, Finch Plaza (outside main doors of Finch Fieldhouse)
- Ready to move and groove? Stick around after MainStage for an all-new event, the MainStage Block Party with hustles, line dances and an all-around good time! The vibes will be immaculate!
9:00 p.m. Craft Night/Blanket Making, Beddow Lobby (Funded by RHA; Open to all residence hall students)
- Come out and make a personalized blanket with the Beddow Hall Staff. All residents will be able to choose their blanket's colors and prints while materials last.
Monday Aug. 28
8 - 11:00 a.m. Central Welcome Breakfast, Bovee UC Rotunda
- Join us on the first day of the semester for a free ‘grab and go’ breakfast. Fuel your body and your mind with a kickstart to the new semester!
7:00 p.m. Field Day, Beddow Lobby (Funded by RHA; Open to all residence hall students)
- Join the Beddow Hall Staff in their first field day event. This outdoor event will include basketball, cornhole, food and more. Participation is not required; however all residents are encouraged to attend.
Tuesday Aug. 29
11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Student Employment Job Fair, Bovee UC Rotunda
- Find your on-campus job at the Student Employment Services Job Fair Tuesday, August 29th from 11 am – 2 pm! Meet with departments from across campus, check your Work-Study eligibility and meet with Career Development for resume/cover letter assistance.
4 - 6:00 p.m. LGBTQ+ Welcome Back Celebration, Center for Student Inclusion and Diversity (UC 108)
- Join The Office of LGBTQ Services and Gender Equity Programs for a Welcome Back event August 29th from 4-6:00 PM in the Center for Student Inclusion and Diversity (UC 108). This will be a time of community, fun, and connection. We look forward to welcoming you!
7:00 p.m. CMU Program Board Trivia Tuesday, Bovee UC Auditorium
- Fire up for CMU Program Board's first Trivia Tuesday of the year! How well do you know CMU & the city of Mount P? Come find out on Tuesday, August 29th in the UC Auditorium at 7 p.m! Prizes for winners!
Wednesday Aug. 30
4 - 7:00 p.m. Get Acquainted Day, Warriner Mall
- The purpose is to familiarize students with opportunities and resources available on CMU's campus. This event has always been a wonderful way to celebrate the start of a new academic year and connect new and current students to registered student originations, campus departments, and local businesses in the CMU community. Every year this event attracts over 1,000 people, including live music, performances, interactive fun, and free food.
Thursday Aug. 31
5 - 7:00pm First Gen Student Resource Fair/Mixer, NIRSA/Alumni Room (in the SAC)
- Come explore the resources that being a college student has to offer. Here at CMU, we define a First Gen student as having parents or guardians that did not seek an education beyond a high-school diploma, your exposure to or knowledge of the university experience in general is limited. You will also have the opportunity to mix and mingle with current faculty and staff mentors to stay connected to CMU support systems. There will be free food at this event.
Sunday Sept. 3
7:00 p.m. International Movie: English Vinglish, Kramer/Deromedi Field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium
- A tradition-minded Indian housewife (Sridevi) enrolls in an accelerated English-language course after she finds herself unable to place a simple order in an American restaurant. Join us at Kramer/Deromedi Field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.
Wednesday Sept. 5 – 7
11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Greeks on the Lawn, Bovee UC Front Lawn
- Greeks on the Lawn is a multi-day showcase of the fraternities and sororities that have chapters at CMU. Stop by Greeks on the Lawn to meet the members, learn more about each organization and ask about their joining processes!
- September 5: Interfraternity Council (IFC)
- September 6: Collegiate Panhellenic Council (CPC)
- September 7: National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC/Divine 9) and Multicultural Greek Council (MGC)
Friday Sept. 8
6 - 8:00 p.m. CMU Pep Rally, Kulhavi Events Center Plaza
- Join the Office of Student Activities and Involvement and University Recreation at the CMU Pep Rally. Let's celebrate a new academic year AND the start of the 2023 CMU athletics season with food, music, traditional tailgate games and give-a-ways display to show your school spirit and support for the Chippewas in a healthy tailgate-like atmosphere
6 - 8:00 p.m. Kickin it with the VPSA, Kulhavi Events Center Plaza
- Think you got the best kicks at CMU? Come show up and show off with CMU’s Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Renee Watson as she looks to interact with and meet you! This meet and greet event will be a part of the CMU Pep Rally.
Saturday Sept. 9
11:30 a.m. Tailgate Central, Student Activity Center (Outside)
- ‘Tailgate Central’ is a substance-free event that will provide food, music, and traditional tailgate games. Tailgate Central venue outside the Student Activity Center, under the clock, two (2) hours prior to kick off.
1:30 p.m. CMU vs. New Hampshire, Kelly/Shorts Stadium
- Cheer on the CMU Football team in the first home game of the season! As Central Michigan's home opener, the Chippewas will "Welcome Home" all fans and students. On Friday, CMU will present its Alumni Awards, the recipients will then be recognized during Saturday's game. A CMU College will be featured and promoted on the concourse level, and each Chippewa sports team in town will set up a station around the stadium to mingle with fans and interact with youth before kickoff. In addition, fans have the opportunity to ride the Maroon & Gold Express, a train to the game from Owosso to Mount Pleasant.
Wednesday Sept. 13
11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Coneys and Careers, Bovee UC Front Lawn
- Ready to begin building your professional portfolio and skills? Kick off the academic year with the Career Development Center as they host Coney and Careers! They will be welcoming students back and handing out both coney and regular hot dogs. This is a great opportunity for students, faculty, and staff to learn about the services and resources The Career Development Center has to offer. See you there!
Friday Sept. 15
Start of Hispanic Heritage Month Events, Various Locations on Campus
- Celebrate all month long with the Center for Student Inclusion and Diversity as they host cultural events/programs for CMU students for Hispanic Heritage Month! From Registered Student Organizations to CMU offices and departments, there are many opportunities to celebrate!
Saturday Sept. 16
2:00 p.m. Tailgate Central Watch Party: CMU vs. Notre Dame, Kramer/Deromedi Field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium
- Streaming live in Mt. Pleasant. CMU Football takes on Notre Dame, come enjoy the game with your friends and roommates and watch the team play on the largest screen in town! There will be food and fun activities on the field as we cheer on our CMU Football team.
Interested in volunteering at any of the Weeks of Welcome events? Email SAI@cmich.edu to inquire!