Skip to main content

Emergency Contacts for International Students

For medical emergencies or if you feel that your safety or the safety of others is at risk, please call 911. This number works anywhere in the United States and will connect you with local public safety officials.

Immigration emergencies

The following are immigration emergencies which require immediate attention:

  • Being denied entry into the United States
  • Being otherwise detained at a U.S. Port of Entry
  • Being arrested for any reason while in the United States

If you experience any of these issues, please follow the steps below depending on the time of day.

During business hours (Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.)

  • Contact the OGE Front Desk at (989) 774-4308 and ask to speak with an advisor.
  • Contact an OGE Advisor via email at (this is the best option if you have wifi access on a flight and cannot make a phone call)

After business hours

If you experience one of the immigration emergencies outlined above after business hours, contact the CMU Police at (989) 774-3081. Let them know that you have an emergency and need to speak with an OGE advisor.

Emergency travel outside of the United States

Emergency travel outside of the United States should not pose an issue if you bring all of the following documents:

  • Your passport, including a valid, non-expired visa
  • Your I-20 or DS-2019, including a travel endorsement signature from an OIA advisor that is less than 6 months old
If you were unable to get a new travel signature prior to leaving or if you have lost your I-20 or DS-2019, please contact an OGE advisor ( or the OGE Front Desk at (989) 774-4308. A new I-20/DS-2019 can be shipped to you with a travel endorsement. If you return to the United States before a new I-20/DS-2019 can be shipped, be sure to tell the border guard the nature of your emergency upon re-entry. You should also be prepared to show that you are still a student at CMU by showing your class schedule and your CMU student ID. In this situation, a border guard may choose to deny your entry or may issue you an I-515A (see below). Do not attempt to enter the United States in a different visa status as this will likely make you ineligible to take classes.

If you travel home with an expired visa, you will need to renew this in your home country prior to your return trip to the United States. Border guards will not permit entry, even temporary, with an expired visa.

Issuance of I-515A at Port of Entry

If you were issued an I-515A at a Port of Entry, this is not an emergency that requires immediate attention. An I-515A does allow you to enter the country and stay for 30 days. If you receive this form, you should contact an OGE advisor ( or come to the OGE office as soon as you return to campus. You must make sure that your status is resolved within 30 days of your entry. If not, your I-20 will be terminated in SEVIS by SEVP. For more information about I-515A's, please see the information on the Study in the States website.

Other resources

Isabella County Central Dispatch ​(989) 773-1000
  City of Mount Pleasant Police Department ​(989) 773-1000
CMU Police(989) 774-3081
CMU Counseling Center (989) 774-3381​
CMU Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity​(989) 774-3253
CMU Student Ombuds Office​(989) 774-3010
CMU Care Team(​989) 774-3346