Animal Research Occupational Health
Animal research occupational health participation
- Review the risks associated with the anticipated work with the PI or immediate supervisor. Helpful hint for PIs and animal users: Both the AHHS and Chemical Hygiene Plan ("CHP", Laboratory Safety Policy) requires a discussion of the potential risks encountered in research. Save time and have a single discussion about the risks of working in the lab and working with animals, then complete the Lab Safety Training Form (found in Appendix I of the Chemical Hygiene Plan).
- Review animal allergen information sheets (Aquatic Animals and Rodents).
- Complete the Medical Questionnaire provided by OLFS.
- Return the Medical Questionnaire to McLaren COMP via email to Tammi Smith, Tammi.Smith@mclaren.org , or Kristin Osborne, Kristin.Osborne@mclaren.org. Do not copy your Supervisor or OLFS, since the Medical Questionnaire contains your private, confidential health information.
- The occupational health provider will review your Medical Questionnaire and determine if it is safe for you to work with animals without restrictions or if it is safe for you to work with animals with restrictions, which is typically N95 respiratory protection, or possibly contact precautions to protect your skin. The medical opinion and specified restrictions will be given to you.
- If the occupational health provider requires additional information or testing, they will contact you for an in-person appointment. If it is determined that a respirator is required, OLFS will contact you to arrange respirator fit testing and training.
- The Medical Questionnaire must be completed every year, or when your duties/risks change. Failure to complete and submit the questionnaire in a timely manner will result in loss of access to the animal facility until the process is complete.
Individuals without FOB/Key/Badge access to animal facilities, who will be accessing the facility on an infrequent basis and will be escorted while in the space(s), will comply with the Vivaria Access: Visitors Policy. These individuals may choose to complete a medical questionnaire and participate in the program. Facilities Management (FM) and other ancillary support entities which may have animal facility access but whose use is limited/infrequent may also request a medical questionnaire and participate in the program. Contact OLFS for further information.