Skip to main content

Financial Aid for Study Abroad 

Resources available for study abroad

Financial Aid is available for students who participate in a Central Michigan University-approved study abroad program. However, you must be formally accepted into a study abroad program through the Office of International Education/Study Abroad before aid eligibility can be determined. The Study Abroad advisor will provide you with a budget sheet detailing the costs of your program. This budget sheet, in combination with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), will be used to calculate how much money you will be awarded for the program you plan to study. We recommend all students planning to study abroad meet with a financial aid advisor to discuss your financial aid eligibility.

Types of financial aid

The following types of financial aid can be used towards a study abroad program:

Financial aid checklist

Use the following checklist to ensure that paperwork has been completed:

    • Complete or renew the FAFSA form.
    • Schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor at least one month before you depart.
    • Submit your Study Abroad Budget Sheet to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
    • If you are borrowing any type of loan, sign and submit all required promissory notes.
    • Direct Deposit for your overpayment of financial aid funds is recommended.

Frequently asked questions

    The priority deadline is June 1, but for students studying abroad, we recommend completing and submitting the application as soon as possible.

    The financial aid office uses the FAFSA you filed for the beginning of the academic year for summer. Therefore, if you received financial aid funds for fall and spring you have already submitted the FAFSA we will use for summer. Please discuss your summer financial aid options when meeting with the financial aid counselor.

    All federal/state grants and loans can be used to finance study abroad expenses. Many campus-based scholarships can also be used.

    Some external scholarships may not be used for study abroad. The department/donor issuing the scholarship will be able to determine if you may use the funds for study abroad.

    No. According to federal regulations, financial aid can only be disbursed 10 days before the start of the academic semester.

    No. Grants and scholarships have a maximum amount per semester that a student can receive. However, you may be eligible to apply for additional scholarships because you are participating in a study abroad program.

    Study Abroad Funding

    The financial aid office can increase your cost of attendance so that you may apply for additional PLUS or private loan funds. Unfortunately, we cannot offer an increase in grants or scholarships you may be receiving.

    Appointments can be scheduled using the link "Book an Appointment" via the website for OneCentral. For more in depth questions or further questions after an appointment, you can contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at 989-774-3674.