Skip to main content

Preparatory Coursework

Preparatory coursework refers to courses a student is required to take in order to be officially admitted into a regular degree program. These courses do not count toward the requirements of that degree program.

If you are taking preparatory coursework, you must contact financial aid and work individually with a financial aid officer.

Enrollment Requirements

  • You must be enrolled in preparatory coursework REQUIRED for admission to a regular graduate or graduate/professional degree program.
  • You must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits).
  • Only those courses REQUIRED for admission may be considered when determining enrollment level and student aid eligibility.


  • You and your academic advisor must complete the Certification of Degree Status form. The completed form should be sent to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

Aid Eligibility

  • Aid eligibility is limited to Federal Direct Stafford Loans.
  • Loan amounts are the same as undergraduate seniors.
  • Loan eligibility is limited to a single consecutive 12-month period.
  • You will be monitored throughout the enrollment period to ensure you remain eligible.