Domestic Student Emergency Fund
This page is for domestic students. International students must refer to the international student emergency fund page.
The Student Emergency Fund offers a financial award to help support students encountering an unforeseen emergency situation. The funding is limited to currently enrolled students who are attending CMU. This funding is intended to offer financial assistance during unexpected circumstances that impact a student’s ability to continue their studies. This award is not a long-term solution to fund a student’s education.
A committee evaluates each application on a case-by-case basis, considering the need, circumstance, and any other funding support received.
What is considered an emergency?
- Emergency medical expenses not covered by insurance
- A personal injury or accident
- Costs to travel home unexpectedly for a family emergency (death, illness, disaster, etc.)
- Replacement of belongings lost due to burglary, fire, flood, or other disaster
- CMU past-due balance because of an unforeseen emergency
Awards will vary based on the need, funding availability, and supporting documentation for the requested financial amount. Awards are allowable up to $3,000.
The ability to award is based upon the availability of funds.
How to apply
1. Review each step outlined above to ensure you qualify and prior to moving forward.
2. Complete the Student Emergency Fund application.
- Provide documentation for the indicated emergency.
- Provide documentation for the financial impact due to the emergency.
- Submit all documentation online in your Financial Aid Portal or in person at OneCentral.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, and awards are based on the availability of funds. Please allow 10-14 days for processing.
If you would like to make a gift to the Student Emergency Fund, please click the following link to be directed to CMU’s giving page.