Steps to Using GI Bill® Benefits at CMU
- Apply to CMU - If applicable, when applying to CMU, also request your Joint Services Transcript or request a Community College of the Air Force transcript for evaluation by CMU academic advisors. Veterans should attach a copy of their DD-214 to their application to waive the application fee.
- Apply for VA educational benefits - Go to the Department of Veterans Affairs website at https://www.va.gov/education/how-to-apply and click the green "Find your education benefits form." You may have to create a DS Logon. When you click "submit" a confirmation screen will appear. Take a screenshot of the confirmation page and save it. Chapter 1606 (MGIB-SR): Contact your unit for a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) DD form 2384-1. The unit should also code your eligibility into the Department of Defense personnel system so VA may verify.
- Get your global ID and password - Once you have been granted an admission status by CMU, you receive your Global ID and create a password. Now you can access your online Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form. Go to the ECR form, sign in, and attach the screenshot of your confirmation page. Close the page. It will save your information without submitting the form.
- Present proof of eligibility for VA educational benefits - When you are approved for benefits, the VA will mail a Certificate of Eligibility to the address you provided on the application. Attach a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility to your online Enrollment Certification Request.
- Register for classes and submit your ECR form - After registering for classes using CentralLink, submit an Enrollment Certification Request (ECR) form. This allows CMU to process your educational benefits through the VA. The earlier you submit your ECR to us, the earlier we can certify you with VA and get your benefits flowing.
Links to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) for benefit descriptions
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.