Dr. Mueller is a Professor in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Central Michigan University. She started her training with a Diplom (MS) in Biology from Regensburg University, Germany. She then came to the US and earned a PhD in Polymer Chemistry from Washington University in St. Louis. In her postdoc at the University of Arizona she worked on research on drug delivery, before she started as an assistant professor at Clarkson University. She moved to Central Michigan University in 2005. Her research interests are polymeric materials for skin scaffolds for burn victims, hydrogen fuel cell membranes, and water treatment. An additional, more recent research interest is interdisciplinary education and assessment as well as active learning in Organic Chemistry.
Publications & Presentations
- Ashraf S.A., Perera R.T., Mueller A.*, “The Binding of Metal Ions to Molecularly-Imprinted Polymers”, Water Science and Technology 2017, 75(7), 1643-1650.
- Abdelhady H.*, Abdelsalam H., Niazy E., Mueller A., Quast M., Effat A., Elbehairi S. “Spatiotemporal PFQNM Visualization of the Effect of Suicide Dendriplexes on Dividing HeLa Cells”, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine 2016, 12 (8), 2365–2371.
- Appell M.*, Mueller A. “Mycotoxin analysis using imprinted materials technology: Recent developments”, Journal of AOAC International 2016, 99(4), 861-864.
- Quast M.J., Argall A., Hager C., Mueller A.* “Physical, Thermal, and Mechanical Properties of Highly Branched Perfluorinated AB + AB2 Copolymer Systems”, Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry 2015, 53, 1880–1894.
- Al-omari M., Liu G., Smith K., Mueller A., Mock A., Ghosh R.N., Kaya T.* “A Portable Optical Human Sweat Sensor”, Journal of Applied Physics Letters 2014, 116, 183102.
- Mueller A., Carson M., Therrell J. "How a Research Faculty Becomes Interested in Assessment", Assessment Update 2014, 26(4), 5-6.
- Mueller A.*, Juris S.J.*, Willermet C., Drake E., Upadhaya S., Chhetri P. "Assessing Interdisciplinary Learning and Student Activism in a Water Issues Course", Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 2014, 14(2), 111-132.
- Al-omari M., Sel K., Mueller A., Edwards J., Kaya T.* "Detection of Relative [Na+] and [K+] Levels in Sweat with Optical Measurements", Journal of Applied Physics Letters 2014, 115, 203107.
- Rakesh L., Almeida N., Mueller A., Hirschi S. "Rheological Studies of Polysaccharides for Skin Scaffolds", Journal of Biomedical Materials Research 2014, 102A, 1510-1517.
- Appell M.*, Jackson M.A., Wang L.C., Ho C.-H., Mueller A. "Determination of fusaric acid in maize using molecularly imprinted solid phase extraction (MISPE) clean-up with picolinic acid imprinted polymers", Journal of Separation Science 2014, 37(3), 281-286.
- Quast M.J., Mueller A. "Hyperbranched Polyfluorinated Benzyl Ether Polymers: Mechanism, Kinetics, and Optimization", Journal of Polymer Science, Part A: Polymer Chemistry 2014, 52, 985–994.
- Willermet C., Mueller A., Juris S.J., Drake E., Upadhaya S., Chhetri P. "Water as Life, Death, and Power: Building an Integrated Interdisciplinary Course Combining Perspectives from Anthropology, Biology, and Chemistry", Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning 2013, 13(5), 105-123.
- Batth A., Mueller A., Rakesh L., Mellinger A. "Electrical Properties of Poly(Vinylidene Fluoride-Hexafluoropropylene) (PVDF-HFP) Blended with Carbon Nanotubes", IEEE CEIDP 2012, 28-31.
- Zhang T., Li Y., Mueller A. "Phase and Structure of Liposomes in Lipid/PEG-Lipid Mixtures", Chemistry and Physics of Lipids 2011, 164(8), 722-726.
- Ashraf S.A., Cluley A., Mercado C., Mueller A. "Imprinted Polymers for the Removal of Heavy Metal Ions from Water", Water Science and Technology 2011, 64(6), 1325-1332.
- Juris S.J.*, Mueller A.*, Smith B.T. L., Johnston S., Kross R. D., "Biodegradable Polysaccharide Gels for Skin Scaffolds", Journal of Biomaterials and Nanobiotechnology 2011, 2(3), 216-225.
- Almeida E.D.N., Hirschi S., Mueller A., Rakesh L. "Viscoelastic Properties of κ-Carrageenan in Saline Solution", Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 2010, 102, 647-652.
- Kujawski M.; Rakesh L., Howell B. A., Chai M., Mueller A., Kujawski M., Fan D., Ravi S., Slominski C. "Computer-aided Design of Nanoscale Smart Materials for Biomedical Application", Nanomedicine 2008, 3(5), 719-739.
- Mueller, A., O'Brien, D. F. "Polymerization of Mesophases of Hydrated Amphiphiles”, Chemical Reviews 2002, 102, 727-757.
- Mueller, A., Bondurant, B., O'Brien, D. F. "Light-Stimulated Destabilization of PEG-Liposomes", Macromolecules 2000, 33 (13), 4799-4804.
- Mueller, A.; Kowalewski, T.; Wooley, K. L. "Synthesis and Characterization of Hyperbranched Polyfluorinated Polymers", Macromolecules 1998, 31, 776-786.
Books & Book Chapters
- Mueller A. “Biomimetic Nanotechnology: Senses and Movement”, DeGruyter, 7/20/17: in print.
- Willermet C., Mueller A., Alm D. “Transforming awareness into activism: teaching systems and social justice in an interdisciplinary water course”, “Promoting Social Justice Through the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning”, Eds Liston D., Rahimi R.; 7/20/17: in print.
- Mueller A., Sarkar A., Guieysse B., Eds, "New Membranes and Advanced Materials for Wastewater Treatment," American Chemical Society Symposium Vol 1022, 2009.
- Argall A., Sweet M., Ireton L., Bowen N., Lentz J., Hager C., Quast M., Mueller A. ”Perfluorinated Block-Copolymers for Dry Proton Exchange Membranes”, Global Conference on Polymer and Composite Materials (PCM 2017), Guangzhuo, China, May 2017
- Argall A., Hager C., Mueller A. “Perfluorinated Block-Copolymers for Dry Proton Exchange Membranes”, 2016 MRS Spring meeting, Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technologies for Transportation—Materials, Systems and Infrastructure symposium, Phoenix, AZ, March 2016
- Perera R., Ho C.-H., Ashraf S., Mueller A. “The Binding of Metal Ions to Molecularly-Imprinted Polymers”, IWA Water & Industry 2015, Västeras, Sweden, June 2015.
- Mueller A., Juris S., Willermet C., Drake E., Upadhaya S., Chhetri P. “Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Education: Water as Life, Death and Power and the Certificate in Global Health Disparities”, Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) 2014, Session 2: Closing the know-do gap: Implementation, programme, and delivery science in global health, Washington DC, May 2014.
- Quast M.J., Mueller A. "Hyperbranched Perfluorinated Polymers for Proton Exchange Membranes," 247th ACS National Meeting, Division of Polymer Science - Synthesis and Applications of Conjugated Materials: Contributions from Texas and Beyond, Dallas, TX, March 2014.
- Perera R., Ashraf S.A., Mueller A. "Imprinted Resins for the Removal of Toxic Ions from Water," IWA Specialist Conference Water & Industry, Valadolid, Spain, May 2011.
- Cornillie S., Ebaugh J., Johnston S., Koski L., Walker R., Webber K., Kross R.D., Juris S.J., Mueller A. "Skin Scaffolds from Polysaccharide Hydrogels," XII Simposio Latinoamericano de Polimeros 2010, San Juan, Costa Rica, July 2010.
- Assistant professor, Biomedical and environmental materials, Clarkson University, 2001-2005
- Postdoc:, Drug Delivery with Liposomes, University of Arizona, 1998-2001
- Ph.D., Polymer Organic Chemistry, Washington University, 1998
- Diplom (M.S.), Biology, Universität von Regensburg, 1993
Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Chemical Society
- Council of Undergraduate Research
- International Water Association
- Materials Research Society
- New York Academy of Sciences
- General Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Polymer Chemistry