Bingbing Li received her B.S. degree (1998, Chemistry) from Beijing Normal University and her Ph.D. degree (2007, Physical Chemistry of Polymers and Interface science) from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech). Upon graduation, she went to the Department of Polymer Science and Engineering at the University of Massachusetts Amherst as a Postdoctoral Research Associate and then, to the Indiana University Center for Regenerate Biology and Medicine at Indianapolis, first as a Postdoctoral Fellow and later as a Research Assistant Professor. In July 2009, she was appointed as a Tenure-track Assistant Professor by the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Central Michigan University. She was promoted to the rank of Associate Professor in 2015 and Full Professor in 2020. She has been the Graduate Coordinator and a graduate advisor between 2015 and 2017 and from 2020 to present. She has also been the Associate Department Chair since summer 2022. Li's research focuses on multiscale events that govern the performance, degradation, and reliability of semicrystalline polymer-based materials, from molecular level (chain behavior), microscopic level (processing and morphology), to macroscopic level physicochemical properties. Li and co-workers have published more than 50 research manuscripts. She was an Honorable Frank J. Padden Award Finalist from the American Physical Society (2007) and the recipient of the Alice L. Jee Memorial Young Investigator Award (2008) from the American Orthopedic Research Society. She frequently served as a Chair, Co-chair, and Organizer for international, national, regional, and local professional meetings, conferences, and symposiums, and as a panel or ad-hoc proposal reviewer for National Science Foundation, American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund, etc. She is on the Editorial Advisory Boards of Scientific Report (NPG, 2016–present) and Material Circular Economy (Springer, 2021–present).
Publications & Presentations
- D. Han, R. A. Ghubayra, T. Jiao, B. Li*, “Crystallization and Phase Separation Behavior of Poly(e-caprolactone)/ Poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) Blends under Non-equilibrium Processing Conditions”, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2022, 644, 128896.
- T. Jiao, B. Li, P. Guo, “Chemical Design and Environmental/Energic Applications of Self-Assembled Nanocomposites and Nanostructures”, Journal of Chemistry, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/9759542 (Editorial)
- Q. Xie, B. Li*, A. R. Esker* “Phase behavior of poly (ε-caprolactone)-b-poly (tert-butyl acrylate) block copolymer at the air/water interface”, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 2020, 587, 124346.
- X. Huang, T. Jiao, Q. Liu, L. Zhang, J. Zhou, B. Li, Q. Peng “Hierarchical electrospun nanofibers treated by solvent vapor annealing as air filtration mat for high-efficiency PM2. 5 capture” Science China Materials 2019, 62 (3), 423-436.
- L. Wang, N. Wang, H. Yang, Q. An, B. Li, S. Ji “Facile fabrication of mixed matrix membranes from simultaneously polymerized hyperbranched polymer/modified graphene oxide for MTBE/MeOH separation”, Journal of Membrane Science 2018, 559, 8.
- A. J. P. Bauer, Z. B. Grim, B. Li* “Hierarchical polymer blend fibers of high structural regularity prepared by facile solvent vapor annealing treatment”, Macromolecular Materials and Engineering 2018, 303. 1700489.
- J. Zhou, Y. Liu, T. Jiao, R. Xing, Z. Yang, J. Fan, J. Liu, B. Li*, Q. Peng, “Preparation and enhanced structural integrity of electrospun poly(caprolactone)−based fibers by freezing amorphous chains through thiol-ene click reaction”, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 2018, 538, 7.
- Z. B. Grim, A. J. P. Bauer, L. Li, B. Li* “Molecular architecture and enhanced thermal stability of electrospun poly(ε-caprolactone)/aminopropyl isobutyl polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane hybrid fibers”, Macromolecular Materials and Engineering 2017, 5, 302, 1600452.
- X. Luo, K. Ma, T. Jiao*, R. Xing, L. Zhang, J. Zhou, B. Li* “graphene oxide-polymer composite langmuir films constructed by interfacial thiol-ene photopolymerization” Nanoscale Research Letters 2017, 12, 99.
- A. Bauer, Y. Wu, B. Li* “Electrospun Poly(ϵ-caprolactone)/Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxane-based Copolymer Blends: Evolution of Fiber Internal Structures”, Macromolecular Bioscience 2016, 16, 705.
- J. Guo, L. Guan, H. Wei, M. A Khan, X. Zhang, B. Li, Q. Wang, B. L. Weeks, D. P. Young, T. Shen, S. Wei, and Z. Guo “Enhanced Negative Magnetoresistance with High Sensitivity of Polyaniline Interfaced with Nanotitania”, Journal of the Electrochemical Society 2016, 163, 664.
- A. Bauer, Y. Wu, J. Liu, and B. Li* “Visualizing the Inner Architecture of Poly(ϵ-caprolactone)-Based Biomaterials and Its Impact on Performance Optimization.” Macromolecular Bioscience 2015, 15, 1554.
- W. Wang, T. Jiao*, Q. Zhang, J. Hu, Y. Chen, Q. Peng, X. Yan, B. Li*, “Hydrothermal synthesis of hierarchical core–shell manganese oxide nanocomposites as efficient dye adsorbents for wastewater treatment”, RSC Advances 2015, 5, 56279.
- T. Jiao, Y. Liu, Y. Wu, Q. Zhang, X. Yan, F. Gao, A. Bauer, J. Liu, B. Li*, “Facile and Scalable Preparation of Graphene Oxide-Based Magnetic Hybrids for Fast and Highly Efficient Removal of Organic Dyes”, Scientific Reports (NPG) 2015, 5, 12451.
- T. Jiao*, H. Guo, Q. Zhang, Q. Peng*, Y. Tang, X. Yan, B. Li*, “Reduced Graphene Oxide-Based Silver Nanoparticle-Containing Composite Hydrogel as Highly Efficient Dye Catalysts for Wastewater Treatment”, Scientific Reports (NPG) 2015, 5, 11873.
- Q. Zhang, Z. Zhang, J. Teng, H. Huang, Q. Peng, T. Jiao, L. Hou, B. Li, “Highly Efficient Phosphate Sequestration in Aqueous Solutions Using Nanomagnesium Hydroxide Modified Polystyrene Materials”, ACS Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2015, 54, 2940.
- J. Liu, A. Bauer, B. Li*, “Solvent vapor annealing: an efficient approach for inscribing secondary nanostructures onto electrospun fibers”. Macromolecular Rapid Communications 2014, 35, 1503. [Back Cover]
- J. Fan, J. Liu, A. Bauer, M. Zhang, C. Wang, T. Zeng, A. Esker, R. Moore, B. Li*, “Hybrid fibers with substantial filler contents through kinetically arrested phase separation of liquid jet”. RSC Advances 2014, 4, 27683.
- A. Bauer, T. Zeng, J. Liu, C. Uthaisar, B. Li*, “The enhanced encapsulation capacity of polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane-based copolymers for the fabrication of electrospun core/shell fibers.” Macromolecular Rapid Communications 2014, 35, 715. [Front Cover]
- K. Greenman, A. Bauer, D. Kool, J. Liu, B. Li*, “Morphological regimes of poly(e-caprolactone)/octaisobutyl polyhedral oligosilsesquioxane composite films in relation to film composition and thickness”. Colloid and Polymer Science 2014, 292, 2227.
- J. Fan, J. Spreitzer, K. Greenman, J. Liu, B. Li*, “Hybrid biphasic microparticles based on polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes”. Materials Letters 2014, 115, 279.
- A. Bauer, J. Liu, J. Windsor, F. Song, B. Li*, “Collagen-based biomaterials for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine”. Soft Materials 2014, 12, 359.
- N. Rao, F. Song, D. Jhamb, M. Wang, N. M. Price, T. L. Belecky-Adams, D. J. Milner, M. Palakal, J. A. Cameron, B. Li, X. Chen, and D. L. Stocum, "Proteomic analysis of fibroblastema formation in regenerating hindlimbs of xenopus laevis froglets and comparison to axolotl". BMC-Development Biology 2014, 14, 32.
- J. Liu, J. Fan, Z. Zhang, T. Y. Zeng, H. Qin, and B. Li*, “Nano/microstructured polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxanes-based hybrid copolymers: Morphology evolution and surface characterization”. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 2013, 394, 386.
- M. Nelson, J. P. Keith, B. Li, D. Stocum, and J. Li, “Electrospun composite PCL scaffolds for optimized tissue regeneration”, Journal of Nanoengineering and Nanosystem 2012, 226, 111.
- N. Santosh, L. J. Windsor, B. S. Mahmoudi, B. Li, W. Zhang, E. A. Chernoff, N. Rao, D. L. Stocum, and F. Song, “Matrix metalloproteinase expression during blastema formation in regeneration-competent versus regeneration-deficient amphibian limbs”. Developmental Dynamics 2011, 240, 1127.
- F. Song B. Li, and D. Stocum, “Engineering toward functional tissues and organs: amphibians as research models for regenerative medicine”, Organogenesis 2010, 6, 141.
- N. Rao, D. Jhamb, D. Milner, B. Li, F. Song, M. Wang, R. Voss, M. King, M. Palakal, B. Saranjami, H. Nye, J. A. Cameron, and D. Stocum, “Proteomic analysis of blastema formation in regenerating axolotl limbs”, BMC-Biology 2009, 7, 1.
- B. Li, H. Marand, and A. R. Esker, “Dendritic growth of poly(e-caprolactone) crystals from compatible blends with poly(t-butyl acrylate) at the air/water interface”, Journal of Polymer Sciences B: Polymer Physics 2007, 45, 3300.
- B. Li, A. R. Esker, “Molar mass dependent growth of poly(e-caprolactone) crystals in Langmuir films”, Langmuir 2007, 23, 2546.
- B. Li, A. R. Esker, “Blends of poly(e-caprolactone) and intermediate molar mass polystyrene as Langmuir films at the air/water interface”, Langmuir 2007, 23, 574.
- B. Li, Y. Wu, M. Liu, and A. R. Esker, “Brewster angle microscopy study of poly(e-caprolactone) crystal growth in Langmuir films at the air/water interface”, Langmuir 2006, 22, 4902.
- S. Ni, W. Lee, B. Li, and A. R. Esker, “Thermodynamics of the liquid expanded to condensed phase transition of poly(l-lactic acid) in Langmuir monolayers”, Langmuir 2006, 22, 3672.
- Y. Wu, B. Li, W. Wang, F. Bai, and M. Liu, “Coordination assisted molecular assemblies of perylene-3,4,9,10-tetracarboxylic acid with Copper (II) ion at the air/water interface”, Materials Sciences and Engineering: C: Biomimetic and Supramolecular Systems 2003, 23, 605.
- B. Li, “Biodegradable Polymers under Nonequilibrium Conditions and Their Implications for Materials Circular Economy”, ACS Midland Fall Scientific Meeting, Midland, MI, October 2021.
- B. Li, A. Bauer, J. Liu, “Novel design of hierarchically structured poly(e-caprolactone)-based blend fibers by facile solvent vapor annealing treatment”, ACS Fall National Meeting & Exposition, San Diego, CA, August 2019.
- B. Li, A. Bauer, J. Liu, “Visualizing the inner architecture of poly(e-caprolactone)-based biomaterials and its impact on performance optimization”, ACS Fall National Meeting & Exposition, San Diego, CA, August 2019.
- B. Li, “Phase behavior of poly(e-caprolactone)-based mixed monolayers at the air/water interface”, ACS Fall National Meeting & Exposition, San Diego, CA, August 2019.
- B. LI, “Hierarchically Structured Polymer Blend Fibers by Facile Solvent Vapor Annealing Treatment”, Gordon Research Conference on Polymers, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley MA, June 2019.
- B. Li, “Electrospun poly(e-caprolactone)/polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane-based copolymer blends: Evolution of fiber internal structures”, The 50th ACS Central Regional Meeting (CERM), Midland, MI, June 2019.
- Ph.D., Chemistry, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2007
- M.S., Chemistry, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2004
- B.S., Chemistry, Beijing Normal University, Beijing, 1998
Research Area I. Biodegradable Polyesters: Laboratory processing, Crystallization, Phase behavior, and Applications
Research Area II: Polyhedral Oligomeric Silsesquioxane (POSS)-Based Polymer Coatings and Nonwoven Materials
Research Area III: Polymer Materials for Environmental Protection and Remediation
Membership in Professional Organizations
- SAM 721 Material (Polymer) Characterization Lab
- CHM 655 Quantum Mechanics – Graduate Level Quantum Chemistry
- CHM 611 Polymer Physical Chemistry and Interface Science
- CHM 602 Scientific Writing in Chemistry & CHM 601 Chemistry Scientific Communication
- CHM 555 Advanced Physical Chemistry – Statistical Thermodynamics
- CHM 357 Physical Chemistry Lab
- CHM 355 Physical Chemistry for Life Science
- CHM 352 Physical Chemistry II – Quantum Chemistry
- CHM 351 Physical Chemistry I – Equilibrium Thermodynamics
- CHM 131 & CHM 132 General Chemistry Labs
- CHM 120 Survey of Chemistry