Publications & Presentations
- Riciputi, S., Boyer, P., McDonough, M. H., & Snyder, F. J. (2018). Formative evaluation of a pilot afterschool physical activity-based positive youth development program. Health Promotion Practice. doi: 10.1177/1524839918759956.
- Schmitt, S. A., Korucu, I., Jones, B. L., Snyder, F. J., Evich, C. D., & Purpura, D. J. (2017) Self-regulation as a correlate of weight status in preschool children. Early Child Development and Care. doi: 10.1080/03004430.2017.1299715.
- Campbell, C., Roberts, Y. H., Strambler, M., Snyder, F. J., & Crusto, C. A. (2016). The assessment of early trauma exposure on social-emotional health of young children. Children and Youth Services Review, 71, 308-314. doi: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2016.11.004.
- Snyder, F. J. (2015). Socio-emotional and character development: A theoretical orientation. Journal of Character Education, 10(2), 107-127.
- Snyder, F. J. (2014). Substance: Misuse during childhood. In Thomas P. Gullotta and Martin Bloom (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Primary Prevention and Health Promotion (Second ed., Vol. 2, pp. 950-964). New York: Springer.Allen, P. M., Edwards, J. A., Snyder, F. J., Makinson, K. A., & Hamby, D. M. (2014). The effect of cognitive load on decision-making with graphically displayed uncertainty information. Risk Analysis, 34(8).
- Bavarian, N. B., Lewis, K. M., DuBois, D. L., Acock, A., Vuchinich, S., Silverthorn, N., Snyder, J., Day, J., Ji, P., & Flay, B. R. (2013). Using social-emotional and character development to improve academic outcomes: A matched-pair, cluster-randomized controlled trial in low-income, urban schools. Journal of School Health, 82(11), 771-779.
- Snyder, F.J., Acock,A.,Vuchinich,S., Beets, M.W., Washburn, I., & Flay, B. (2013). Preventing negative behaviors among elementary-school students through enhancing students' social-emotional and character development. American Journal of Health Promotion, 28(1), 50-58.
- Roberts, Y. H., Snyder, F. J., Kaufman, J. S., Finley, M. K., Griffin, A., Anderson, J., Marshall, T., Radway, S., Stack, V., & Crusto, C. A. (2013). Children exposed to the arrest of a family member: Associations with mental health. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 23, 214-224.
- Snyder, F. J., & Flay, B. R. (2012). Positive youth development. In P. Brown, M. W. Corrigan, & A. Higgins-D'Alessandro (Eds.), The Handbook of Prosocial Education (pp.415-443). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group.
- Snyder, F. J., Roberts, Y. H., Crusto, C. A., Connell, C. M., Griffin, A., Finley, M. K., Radway, S., Marshall, T., & Kaufman, J. S. (2012). Exposure to traumatic events and the behavioral health of children enrolled in an early childhood system of care. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 25, 700-704.
- Edwards, J. A., Snyder, F. J., Allen, P. M., Makinson, K. A., & Hamby, D. M. (2012). Decision making for risk management: A comparison of graphical methods of presenting quantitative uncertainty. Risk Analysis, 32(12), 2055-2070.
- Lewis, K. M., Bavarian, N., Snyder, F. J., Acock, A., Day, J., DuBois, D. L., Ji, P., Schure, M. P. Silverthorn, N., Vuchinich, S., & Flay, B. R. (2012). Direct and mediated effects of a social-emotional and character development program on adolescent substance use. International Journal of Emotional Education, 4(1), 56-78.
- Snyder, F. J., Vuchinich, S., Acock, A., Washburn, I. J., & Flay, B. R. (2012). Improving elementary-school quality through the use of a social-emotional and character development program: A matched-pair, cluster-randomized, controlled trial in Hawaii. Journal of School Health, 82(1), 11-20.
- Flay, B. R., Durkin, S., Fong, G., Forster, J., Glynn, T., Hammond, D., Halpern-Felsher, Kumpher, K., Lamont, G., Martin, J., Saffer, H., Severson, H., Snyder, F., Sussman, S., Tauras, J., Wakefield, M., & Widome, R. (2012). Efforts to prevent and reduce tobacco use among young people. In Preventing tobacco use among youth and young adults: A report of the Surgeon General. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General, Rockville, MD.
- Washburn, I., Acock, A., Vuchinich, S., Snyder, F., Li, K., DuBois, D., & Flay, B. (2011) The effects of a social-emotional and character development program on the trajectory of behaviors associated with social-emotional and character development: Findings from three randomized trials. Prevention Science, 12(3), 314-323.
- Li, K., Washburn, I., DuBois, D. L., Vuchinich, S., Ji, P., Brechling, V., Day, J., Beets, M. W., A. C., Acock, Berbaum, M., Snyder, F. J., Flay, B. R. (2011). Effects of the Positive Action program on problem behaviors in elementary school students: A matched-pair randomized control trial in Chicago. Psychology & Health, 26(2),187-204.
- Snyder, F., Flay, B., Vuchinich, S., Acock, A., Washburn, I., Beets, M., & Li, K. (2010). Impact of a social-emotional and character development program on school-level indicators of academic achievement, absenteeism, and disciplinary outcomes: A matched-pair, cluster randomized, controlled trial. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness, 3(1). 26-55.
- Beets, M. W., Flay, B. R., Vuchinich, S., Li, K., Acock, A., & Snyder, F. J. (2009). Longitudinal patterns of binge drinking among first-year college students. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 103 (1-2), 1-8.
- Beets, M. W., Flay, B. R, Vuchinich, S., Snyder, F .J., Acock, A., Li, K., Burns, K., Washburn, I. J., & Durlak, J. (2009). Use of a social and character development program to prevent substance use, violent behaviors, and sexual activity among elementary-school students in Hawaii.American Journal of Public Health, 99 (8).
- Snyder, F. J., Dundas, M. L., Kirkpatrick, C. F., & Neill, K. (2009). Use and safety perceptions regarding herbal supplements: A study of older persons in southeast Idaho. Journal of Nutrition in Gerontology and Geriatrics (formerly Journal of Nutrition for the Elderly), 28(1), 81-95.
- Flay, B., Snyder, F., & Petraitis, J. (2009). The Theory of Triadic Influence. In R. J. DiClemente, R. C. Crosby, & M. C. Kegler (Eds.), Emerging Theories in Health Promotion Practice and Research(Second ed., pp. 451-510). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Prevention Research, Yale University
- PhD, Health Promotion and Health Behavior, Oregon State University
- MPH, Community Health, Idaho State University
- US Peace Corps Teacher Training, non-degree
- BS, Nutritional Sciences, Michigan State University
Dr. Snyder’s research in public health encompasses health promotion and understanding how social and environmental factors influence youth health behaviors and development. He also evaluates the effectiveness of school- and community-based interventions and health services in enhancing youth health outcomes.
- HSC 221: Public Health Theory
- HSC 235: Psychoactive Drugs
- MPH 642: Social and Behavioral Sciences in Public Health