More about Joseph Langenderfer
Publications & Presentations
- Langenderfer, J.E., Ustinova, K.I. (2023) Effect of Time after COVID on Standing Postural Control. International Journal of Human Movement and Sports Sciences 11: 730 – 737.
- MacLean, K.F., Langenderfer, J..E, Dickerson, C.R. (2023) A Comparative Probabilistic Analysis of Human and Chimpanzee Rotator Cuff Function during Horizontal Bimanual Suspension. Journal of Anatomy 00:1–17.
- Langenderfer, J.E., Ustinova, K.I. (2022) Recurrence quantification analysis to assess structure of breast motion variability for jumping jacks exercise. International Journal of Human Factors and Ergonomics 9: 201-214.
- Langenderfer, J.E., Thompson, M.R., Ustinova, K.I. (2021) Postural stability challenges in narrow walking after traumatic brain injury. International Journal of Human Movement and Sports Sciences 9: 948-954.
- Langenderfer, J.E., Ferdous, S., Balendra, N. (2020) Principal component analysis of upper-extremity joint moment variability during hammering. International Journal of Human Factors and Ergonomics 7 (3): 245-259.
- Gibson, T.M., Langenderfer, J.E., Ustinova, K.I. (2020) Effects of Breast Motion on Lower-body Kinematics during Running. International Journal of Human Movement and Sports Sciences 8: 51-56.
- Langenderfer, J.E., Ferdous, S., Balendra, N. (2020) Influence of hammer properties on upper-extremity movement variance during hammering. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 15: 1515-1521.
- Gibson, T.M., Balendra, N., Ustinova, K.I., Langenderfer, J.E. (2019) Reductions in Kinematics from Brassieres with Varying Breast Support. International Journal of Exercise Science 12: 402-411.
- Ustinova, K.I., Langenderfer, J.E. (2019) Delay in Hand Grasp Release in Individuals with Post-stroke Hemiparesis. International Journal of Human Movement and Sports Sciences 7: 1-4.
- Austin, H.M., Balendra, N., Langenderfer, J.E., Ustinova, K.I., (2018) Decomposition of leg movements during overground walking in individuals with traumatic brain injury. Brain Injury 32: 739-746.
- Lu, J., Xi, J., Langenderfer, J.E. (2017) Sensitivity Analysis and Uncertainty Quantification in Pulmonary Drug Delivery of Orally Inhaled Pharmaceuticals. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 106: 3303-3315.
- Ustinova, K.I., Langenderfer, J.E., Balendra N. (2017) Enhanced arm swing alters interlimb coordination during overground walking in individuals with traumatic brain injury. Human Movement Science 52: 45-54.
- Balendra, N., Langenderfer, J.E. (2017) Effect of hammer mass on upper-extremity joint moments. Applied Ergonomics 60: 231-239.
- Chopp-Hurley, J., Langenderfer, J.E., Dickerson, C. (2016) A probabilistic orthopaedic population model to predict fatigue-related subacromial geometric variability. Journal of Biomechanics 49: 543–549.
- Dickerson, C.R., Meszaros, K.A., Cudlip, A.C., Chopp-Hurley, J.N., Langenderfer, J.E.(2015) The influence of cycle time on shoulder fatigue responses for a fixed total overhead workload. Journal of Biomechanics 48: 2911–2918.
- VanderHill, M.S., Wolf, E.E., Langenderfer J.E., Ustinova K.I. (2014) The effect of actual and imaginary handgrip on postural stability during different balance conditions. Gait and Posture 40: 652-657.
- Chopp-Hurley, J. Langenderfer, J.E. Dickerson, C. (2014) Probabilistic Evaluation of Predicted Force Sensitivity to Muscle Attachment and Glenohumeral Stability Uncertainty. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 42:1867-1879.
- Ustinova, K.I., Langenderfer, J.E., (2013) Postural Stabilization by Gripping a Haptic Stick with Different Force Levels. Gait and Posture 38:97-103.
- Baldwin, M.A., Langenderfer, J.E., Rullkoetter, P.J., Laz, P.J. (2010) Development of Subject-Specific and Statistical Shape Models of the Knee using an Efficient Segmentation and Mesh Morphing Approach. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 97: 232-240.
- Langenderfer, J.E., Rullkoetter, P.J, Mell, A.G., Laz, P.J. (2009) A multi-subject evaluation of uncertainty in anatomical landmark location on shoulder kinematic description. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering 12: 211-216.
- Flieg, N.G., Gatti, C.J., Case-Doro, L., Langenderfer, J.E., Carpenter, J.E., Hughes, R.E. (2008) A stochastic analysis of glenoid inclination angle and superior migration of the humeral head. Clinical Biomechanics 23:554-561.
- Langenderfer, J.E., Rullkoetter, P.J., Petrella, A.J., Laz, P.J. (2008) An efficient probabilistic methodology incorporating uncertainty in body segment parameters and anatomical landmarks in joint loadings estimated from inverse dynamics. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 130:014502.
Credentials, Certifications & Awards
Honors and awards
- Engineer-in-Training, New York State, 1992
- Captain, United States Army, Armor Branch, 1992-1999
Grants and contracts
- Co-PI: SheFit Corporation: Test of effectiveness of the SheFit sport brassiere (2017)
- Co-PI: National Science Foundation, Major Research Instrumentation: Acquisition of a Vicon system for multi-disciplinary research and education in rehabilitation engineering (2013-2016)
- Post-doc., University of Denver Computational Biomechanics Lab, 2005-2007
- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, The University of Michigan, 2005
- M.S.E., Biomedical Engineering, The University of Michigan, 2002
- M.S.E., Mechanical Engineering, The University of Michigan, 2001
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, The United States Military Academy, 1992
- Computational Modeling of Muscle and Joint Loads
- Stochastic Biomechanics Modeling
- In Vivo and in Vitro Experimental Biomechanics
Membership in Professional Organizations
Dr. Langenderfer is a member of the:
- American Society of Biomechanics
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- Strength of Materials
- Computational Simulation Modeling
- Mechanics of Human Movement
- Measurements and Instrumentation
- Probabilistic Modeling and Reliability
- Engineering Design Courses