More About LIXIN LI
Publications & Presentations
Publications in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Poudel A, Zhou J, Mekala N, Welchko R, Rosca M, Li L. Berberine protects against cytokine-induced inflammation through multiple pathways in undifferentiated C2C12 myblast cells. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2019 Apr 26. doi: 10.1139/cjpp-2018-0653.
- Zhou J, Massey S, Story D, Li L. Metformin, an old drug with new applications. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2018, 19 (10), 2863.
- Poudel A, Zhou JY, Story D, Li L. Diabetes and Associated Cardiovascular Complications in American Indians/Alaskan Natives. A Review of Risks and Prevention Strategies. J Diabetes Res. 2018 Sep 13. 2018-2742565. doi: 10.1155/2018/2742565.
- Li L, Xu C, Wang KS. Response to the letter to the editor regarding "Smoking and coronary heart disease in patients with type 2 diabetes mellius. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2017 Sep 21. pii: S0168-8227(17)31490-0.
- Zhou Y, Xu B, Lopes J, Blamoun J, Li L. Hashimoto encephalopathy: literature review. Acta Neurol Scand. 2017 Mar. 135 (3):285-290.
- Li L, Gong S, Xu C, Zhou JY, Wang KS. Sleep duration and smoking are associated with coronary heart disease among US adults with type 2 diabetes: Gender differences. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2017 Feb, 124:93-101.
- Li l, Lopes J, Xu B. Integrating medical simulation in the physician assistant education physiology curriculum, Journal of Physician Assistant Education, 2016 Dec; 27(4):156-161.
- Zhou J, Xu B, Li L. A new role for an old drug: metformin targets microRNAs in treating diabetes and cancer. Drug Development Research. 2015, 76(6): 295-342.
- Zhou J.Y, Li L. MicroRNA in brown adipogenesis BBA molecular and cell biology of Lipid. 2014 Nov; 1841(11):1590-1595.
- Bashiri A, Tavallaee G, Li L, Ng D Emerging role of cellular cholesterol in the pathogenesis of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Curr Opin Lipidol 2013, 24:275–276.
- Hager L, Li L*, Liu L Ng DS. Lecithin: cholesterol acyltransferase deficiency protects against cholesterol-induced hepatic endoplasmic reticulum stress in mice. J Biol Chem 2012 Jun 8; 287 (24):20755-68. (*indicates equal co-first authorship).
- Dong L, Kang L, Ding L, Chen Q, Bai J, Gu R, Li L, Xu B. Insulin modulates ischemia-induced endothelial progenitor cell mobilization and neovascularization in diabetic mice. Microvasc Res. 2011 Nov; 82 (3):227-36.
- Li L, Tam L. Liu L, Jin T, Ng DS. Wnt-signaling mediates the anti-adipogenic action of lysophophatidic acid through cross talking with the Rho/Rho associated kinase (ROCK) pathway.Biochem Cell Biol 2011 Dec; 89(6):515-21.
- Li L, Hossain MA, Sadat S, Hager L, Liu L, Tam L, Schroer S, Huogen, LFantus IG,Connelly PW, Woo M, Ng DS. Lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase null mice are protected from diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance in a gender-specific manner through multiple pathways. J Biol Chem. 2011 May 20; 286(20):17809-20.
- Li L, Naples M, Song H, Yuan R, Ye F, Shafi S, Adeli K, Ng DS. LCAT-null mice develop improved hepatic insulin sensitivity through altered regulation of transcription factors and suppressors of cytokine signaling. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Aug; 293(2): E587-94.
- Li L, Macdonald PE, Ahn DS, Oudit GY, Backx PH, Brubaker PL. Role of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinaseg (PI3-Kg) in the beta-cell: Interactions with glucagon-like peptide-1. Endocrinology 2006. Jul; 147(7): 3318-25.
- Li L, El-Kholy W, Rhodes C, Brubaker PL. Role of GLP-1 and PKB in prevention of cytokine–induced apoptosis in INS-1E cells Diabetologia, 2005 Jul; 48(7): 1339-49.
- Li Y, Cao X, Li L, Brubaker PL, Edlund H, Drucker DJ et.al. b-cell Pdx1 expression is essential for the glucoregulatory, proliferative, and cytoprotective actions of glucagon-like peptide-1 Diabetes, 2005, 54(2): 482-91.
- Wang Q, Li L*, Xu E, Wong V, Brubaker PL. Glucagon-like peptide-1 regulates proliferation and apoptosis via activation of protein kinase B in pancreatic INS-1 b-cells. (*indicates equal co-first authorship) Diabetologia, 2004, 47(3): 478-87.
- Li L, Yoshikawa H, Egeberg K, Grill V. Interleukin-1-b swiftly down-regulates UCP-2 mRNA in b-cells by mechanisms not directly coupled to toxicity. Cytokine, 2003, 23(4-5): 101-7.
- Li L, Skorpen F, Egeberg K, Jørgensen I and Grill V. Induction of UCP-2 mRNA in beta cells is stimulated by oxidation of fatty acids but not by nutrient oversupply. Endocrinology, 2002, 143(4): 1371-7.
- Li L, Skorpen K, Egeberg K, Jørgensen I and Grill V. Uncoupling protein–2 participates in cellular defense against oxidative stress in clonal b-cells. Biochemical and Biophysics Research Communications, 2001, 282: 273-277.
- Li L, Wang W. The comparative study on CFU-F of human cord blood and normal bone marrow. Chinese Journal of Leukemia. 1997 56 :(3): 45-53.
- Li L, Shi S. 2 cases of apathetic thyroid storm. Chinese Journal of Metabolism and Endocrinology, 1993, 9(2): 86-89.
- Li L, Shi S. The reports on the treatment of 24 cases of Diabetic Ketoacidosis with small amount of insulin by intravenous drip. HeiLongJiang Medical Journal, 1992, 94(4): 22-25.
Published Book Chapters
- Li L, Lu F, Gao S, et al. The new guidance of managing diabetes, 1997, HeiLong Jiang Scientific and Technology Publication. First edition, ISBN 7-5388-3121-5/R. 606.
- Integrate medical simulation in physician assistant curriculum. Session 6-2: Medical and Health Education in World Education Day 2018 (WED-2018). Jinan, China, September 28-30, 2018.
- Berberine, a potential drug in treating obesity. 16th Annual Congress of International Drug Discovery Science and Technology (IDDST-2018), Session: Immunology & Endocrinology in Drug Discovery. Boston, August 16-18, 2018.
- Liraglutid, a potential medication in treating metabolic syndrome. St. Mary's Hospital Grand ground, Saginaw, April 27, 2017.
- 13th Global Diabetes conference and Medicare Expo, August 8-10, 2016, Birmingham, UK. Keynote speaker, Fat against fat, a potential medication in treating obesity.
- Liraglutide protects diet induced obesity though induction of brown adipogenesis in mice. The 2016 Obesity Summit, Apil 12-14, 2016, London, UK.
- Liraglutide protects high fat high sucrose diet induced obesity through elevation of energy expenditure. Weight Loss and Fitness Expo, July 13-15, 2015 Philadelphia.
- Targeting diabetes and obesity, Fat fights against fat. College of Medicine, Central Michigan University. Feb 7, 2015.
- Glucagon-like peptide and the regulation of beta-cell mass: Role for AKT signaling. Banting and Best Diabetes Center annual meeting, Toronto, May 17, 2004.
- Mitochondrial disorders as causes of the Disease May 18, 2002, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, May 17, 2002.
Credentials, Certifications & Awards
- Timeposters Award; Williams S. Fenwick Fellowship and the Chisholm Memorial Fellowship, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 2005
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Canadian Diabetes Association, 2002-2005
- Hugh Sellers Postdoctoral Fellowship, Banting and Best Diabetes Centre University of Toronto, 2002-2005
- Banting and Best Diabetes Centre/Toronto Diabetes Association Annual Trainee Award competition, 2003 (2nd place Prize winner) and 2004 (Honorable mention)
- Postgraduate Fellowship, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, 2003-2005
- Trainee Travel Award, Banting and Best Diabetic Centre, University of Toronto, 2003-2006
- MD, Southeast University
- PhD, Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Dr. Li's research interests have been focused on the underlying mechanism of pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes with a specific focus on β-cell dysfunction as well as the molecular mechanism of obesity-associated insulin resistance. Her major research interest also includes the proglucagon-derived peptides, glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1), and its role in weight loss and anti-inflammation. Currently, Dr. Li is studying the protective effect of liraglutide (a long-acting GLP-1 agonist) on diet-induced obesity and its potential role in preventing the development of Alzheimer's disease in patients with diabetes.
Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Diabetes Association
- American Physiology Association
- American Physician Assistant Association
- Endocrinology Association
- PHA 633: Scientific Basis of Medicine I
- PHA 634: Scientific Basis of Medicine II
- PHA 635: Scientific Basis of Medicine III
- PHA 660: History and Physical Examination I
- PHA 661: History and Physical Examination II
- PHA 662: History and Physical Examination III
- PHA 645: Critical Appraisal of Medical Literature and Evidence-Based Medicine