Instructor, Master of Public Health Internship Coordinator, and Accreditation Coordinator
Ms. Kushion teaches at Central Michigan University where she serves as a fixed-term faculty member. Ms. Kushion teaches HPS 101WI, Introduction to Health Professions, MPH 667, Maternal and Child Health, and MPH 654, Public Health Leadership. She is also the coordinator for both the MPH internships and CEPH accreditation. Ms. Kushion is the founding chairperson of the Central Michigan University Master of Public Health Advisory Board. Ms. Kushion has also taught Public Health Concepts at Indiana State University.
Ms. Kushion shares her experiences and expertise gained in her 25-year career in local public health not only to CMU students, but also to health departments throughout the nation by providing training and technical assistance in the areas of strategic planning, quality improvement, performance management, population health improvement, and national accreditation preparedness. Prior to her retirement as its public health director, the Central Michigan District Health Department became PHAB accredited in August 2013.
Publications & Presentations
- Kushion, M, Book Chapter 20 “Community Needs and Asset Assessment”, Foundations of Rural Public Health in America, Inungu J., and Minelli M. (Jones and Bartlett 2021).
- Okonji, A.I., Inungu, J.N., Akinmoladun, T.M., Kushion, M.L., Aduse-Poku L., “Factors Associated with Depression Among Immigrants in the U.S.” Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, June 2021 23: 415-424.
- Kushion M, “Michigan Local Public Health Accreditation Program and the Public Health Accreditation Board’s National Voluntary Accreditation Program Crosswalk; An analysis of PHAB standards and Michigan local public health accreditation requirements,” August 2011. University of Michigan Public Health Training Center, Office of Public Health Practice School of Public Health.
- Kushion M., Tews, D. S., and Parker, M., “Enhancing Michigan’s Local Public Health Accreditation Program Through Participation in the Multistate Learning Collaborative.” Journal of Public Health Management and Practice (JPHMP) 2007 13 (4): 410-414.
- Nolan P., Bialek R., Kushion, M., Lenaway, D., and Hamm, M., “Financing and Creating Incentives for a Voluntary National Accreditation System for Public Health.” JPHMP 2007 13(4) 378-382.
- Tremain, B., Davis, M., Joly, B., Edgar M., Kushion M., Schmidt, R., “Evaluation as a Critical Factor of Success in Local Public Health Accreditation Programs.” JPHMP 2007 13(4) 404-409.
- MSA, Central Michigan University
- BS, Alma College
- HPS 101WI: Introduction to Health Professions
- MPH 654: Public Health Leadership
- MPH 667: Maternal and Child Health