Central Michigan University is committed to protecting the privacy of confidential information submitted through our web sites by employees, students, and visitors. The purpose of this privacy statement is to inform you regarding which personal or personally identifiable information we may collect from you when you visit our websites, as well as how we use such information.
Information About You
We collect information about you from our web sites through:
- Web Logs and Cookies: Our web servers generate temporary logs and cookies that contain a variety of information about each user and his/her use of our web sites. The data that we collect helps us respond to user requests in an appropriate and/or personalized manner.
- Online Forms: CMU hosts numerous online forms through which it collects user information. This information helps CMU serve its users more efficiently. Delivery of the service supported by an online form may require that CMU share information with external business partners. In any such case, the external business partner will be contractually required to honor CMU’s commitment to the privacy of that information.
- Online Surveys: There are typically numerous online surveys being conducted on CMU web sites. Person(s) responsible for conducting online surveys that collect personally identifiable information should clearly state at the survey site the extent to which any information provided will be shared. Data from surveys may be shared with external third parties in ways that do not compromise privacy.
- E-Commerce: CMU web sites may enable one to pay for products or services online with a credit card. CMU’s policy regarding Accepting Credit Card Payments ensures that these transactions are secure. Confidential information one enters in any such transaction is used only for the purposes described in that transaction, unless an additional use is specifically stated on that site.
Use of Information About You
In general, we use the information we collect only for its stated and implied purposes. We protect student, medical, and other protected records as required by applicable law (such as HIPAA
- and FERPA
legislation) and CMU’s Data Stewardship Policy
. Except as noted below, CMU will not share information about you with other parties without your permission.
- CMU publishes directory information (name, address, phone number, etc.) for its students consistent with the provisions of FERPA legislation. Students may contact the University Registrar to elect that their directory information not be published.
- CMU’s status as a public institution requires that some information collected through our websites may be subject to release under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- To maintain its compliance with federal and state legislation, CMU retains the right to release both personally identifiable and aggregate information to state and federal agencies as required.
Units of Central Michigan University may provide chat rooms, forums, message boards, and news groups for their users. Any information that is disclosed in these areas may become public information and a user should therefore exercise caution when deciding to disclose one's personal information in such places. Chat sessions and discussion forums may be logged.
Our Commitment To Data Security
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online, consistent with the university’s Data Stewardship Policy
Questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this site may be directed to the Office of Information Technology Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 989.774.3662.