The songwriting minor is for anyone who envisions themselves making music in any popular music genre. You’ll learn about music theory, music production, and be able to explore classes in piano, guitar, or voice.
Why This Program & What You'll LearnThe Songwriting minor is the only one of its kind in Michigan. The minor combines music theory courses which focus on popular music, courses on writing original songs, and courses to help your skills in singing or performing on keyboard or guitar. You can also study more about writing lyrics, music production or arranging, and music business.
- Learn the foundations of music theory and how it applies to popular music.
- Work with internationally recognized faculty composers and songwriters.
- Thrive in an environment focused on cultivating your artistic vision.
- Work with our brand-new music production and composition labs which put you in touch with state-of-the-art hardware and software.
- Make connections with other artists in supportive and friendly surroundings!
Careers & Outcomes
Graduates with a minor in Songwriting will have all the necessary skills they need to write, perform, record, and distribute their own music.