Why This Program & What You'll Learn
As a student in CMU’s English education program, you'll join a close-knit community of aspiring teachers and faculty mentors who collaborate and learn from one another through coursework, classroom experiences, professional development opportunities, and our on-campus student organization.
Together, students develop strategies for designing curriculum; teaching lessons; differentiating instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners; and taking a culturally sustaining approach to ELA teaching and learning.
The Teaching English Language Arts Grades 5-12 major builds students’ knowledge of literature, language, composition, and pedagogy through courses that may include: Young Adult Literature, African American Literature, LGBTQ Literature, Creative Writing, and Teaching Literature in Secondary Schools.
The Teaching English Language Arts Grades 5-12 major is also built on a strong foundation of real-life experience with 60+ hours of classroom experience before student teaching, including opportunities to:
- Work one-on-one with middle and high school readers in local classrooms.
- Co-teach a unit with a local English teacher in a pre-student teaching experience.
- Facilitate small group discussions about literature with middle or high school students. • Conference virtually with middle or high school students on their writing.
- Design and videorecord lessons for feedback or online teaching. Completing the B.S. in Secondary Education degree with a major in Teaching English Language Arts, Grades 5-12 qualifies students for recommendation to the Michigan State Board of Education for a Secondary Standard Certificate.
In CMU’s English education program, you can:
- Study with award-winning faculty and published authors.
- Network with other future English teachers by joining the National Council of Teachers of English Student Organization.
- Present original work at state or national conferences.
- Submit poetry, fiction, or nonfiction work to Central Review, CMU’s literary journal.
- Build professional experience as a Writing Consultant in CMU’s Writing Center.
Careers & Outcomes
|Middle/High School Teacher||$61,570|
|Curriculum and Instructional Designer/Developer||$63,740|