Get ready for a dynamic math-focused career in business, industry, government, or education. Our master’s program in mathematics focuses on the computational aspects of the discipline and prepares you to apply your skills in any workplace setting.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
In a world filled with numbers, a master’s degree in mathematics opens the door to a wide array of fascinating careers. Our MA program builds your problem-solving skills and expands on the tools you need to succeed, whether you plan to pursue doctoral studies or go directly to work. We even have a series of courses specifically designed to prepare you to teach at a two-year college.
As a student here, you’ll conduct research alongside faculty who study everything from ethno-mathematics and Bayesian techniques to differential geometry and more. You can also present your work to your fellow graduate students or at our annual campus-wide research showcase.
You’ll have the option of completing a thesis or writing two papers and taking additional coursework, including a graduate student seminar. Either way, you’ll graduate with the tools to thrive in further study, a teaching position, or in an industry job.
As a master’s student in mathematics at CMU, you can:
- Collaborate with faculty on computational math research.
- Work in state-of-the-art computer labs.
- Design your studies to meet your individual interests and goals.
- Apply for a graduate teaching assistantship.
- Present your research results at the annual campus-wide Student Research and Creative Endeavors Exhibition.
- Join our graduate student chapter of the American Mathematical Society.
Careers & Outcomes
A mathematics MA from CMU prepares you for a variety of careers in computational mathematics. Our graduates work in business, government, industry, and academia.
|Financial Quantitative Analyst||$99,596|