In the age of the internet, all the world's knowledge is literally at our fingertips. But without reading — and the ability to think critically about what we learn — it remains out of reach. A Master of Arts degree in Reading and Literacy from CMU will help you unlock new worlds for students from kindergarten through high school.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
More states are realizing children's literacy is a critical marker of future success. That's why 15 states and the District of Columbia have passed laws requiring students to be proficient readers by the end of third grade.
Our reading and literacy (K-12) master's program will give you the skills to participate in this movement.
This 11-course accredited program covers both the theory and practice of teaching reading and literacy. You'll take a 16-week clinical practicum in which you'll have a chance to employ the techniques you learn in the classroom. Open to credentialed teachers, CMU's reading and literacy (K-12) program will teach you to:
- Organize and introduce school literacy programs.
- Diagnose and treat literacy difficulties.
- Put in place reading and writing instruction.
- Develop interdisciplinary and integrated literacy units.
- Conduct literacy research.
- Develop technological and viewing skills related to literacy programs.
By taking just one course a semester, you'll be able to complete your master's degree in two years.
As a master's candidate in the Reading and Literacy (K-12) program, you will:
- Learn where you live. Courses for this program are offered online.
- Join a program that follows standards developed by the International Literacy Association (ILA) and the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), and adopted by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Follow a curriculum that meets standards approved by the Michigan State Board of Education for the Reading Specialist (BR) Endorsement.
- Study at a program that has earned national accreditation through the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
Careers & Outcomes
This master's degree will bolster your teaching credentials and allow you to implement reading and literacy strategies in elementary, middle and high schools.
|Elementary School Teacher||$61,350|