Medallion Hunt is a long-standing CMU Homecoming Tradition where students go on a hunt for the precious CMU Medallion across campus.
This year, there will be an undergraduate student Medallion Hunt that will take place on campus, and an alumni Medallion Hunt that will take place virtually on social media! See the information below for specific rules and details about both hunts!
Undergraduate student Medallion Hunt competition
- Any undergraduate student at CMU can participate in the undergraduate student Medallion Hunt. You can participate as a team or individually.
- The first clue will be posted on the CMU Office of Student Activities and Involvement Facebook page and the CMU Student Activities Instragram on Wednesday. All subsequent clues will be found inside the small box that the first clue will lead you to.
- As you begin your search each day, you will be looking for a small black box with a 3-digit lock code that you must crack to get inside. The first social media clue and the subsequent QR code clue answers will be numbers that create that 3-digit lock code that you will use to get inside. The number answers to the clues will not necessarily be listed in the order of the 3-digit lock code.
- Inside the box, you will find a QR code that will lead you to information on how to find the next clue. One clue each day (Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday) will be given throughout the three days of Homecoming.
- The final clue on Friday will lead you to another location on campus where the Medallion is being safeguarded by a university employee. The first team or person to find where that university employee is, wins the medallion.
- Winners receive homecoming cup points if they are on a team.
- The undergraduate Medallion may only be searched for between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. The lock box will be removed from its spot at 8:00 p.m. each night.
Alumni Medallion Hunt competition
- Any alumni of CMU can participate in the alumni Medallion Hunt. You can participate with friends or individually.
- All clues will be posted on the CMU Office of Student Activities and Involvement Facebook page and the CMU Student Activities Instagram
- All clues will be CMU trivia questions about CMU heroes that you will have to solve in order to identify a number associated with the trivia question. The clue will not only provide another number, but it will prompt you to figure out a math problem to get a final number.
- Once you think you have that final number from the math problem, email email@example.com your guess. Your final guess must be sent no later than 9:00 p.m. on Friday! The first correct person to email will be declared the winner!
- Winners will be announced on social media and at the homecoming football game after the 3rd quarter! Your prize will be sent to you by the CMU Alumni Association.