Sexual Assault Response Pledge
The Central Michigan University Police Department has adopted the Sexual Assault Response Pledge, which states:
Sexual assaults, including date/acquaintance rape, are a very serious concern of the University. If you feel you are the victim of a sexual assault on campus, the CMU Police Department's goal is to satisfy the below criteria:
- We will meet with you privately, at a place of your choice in this area, to take a complaint report.
- We will not release your name to the public or to the press.
- Our officers will not prejudge you, and you will not be blamed for what occurred.
- We will treat you and your particular case with courtesy, sensitivity, dignity, understanding and professionalism.
- If you feel more comfortable talking with a female or male officer, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- We will assist you in arranging for any medical needs and/or evidence collection.
- We will assist you in privately contacting counseling, safety, advising and other available resources.
- We will fully investigate your case, and will help you to achieve the best outcome. This may involve the arrest and full prosecution of the suspect responsible. You will be kept up-to-date on the progress of the investigation and/or prosecution.
- We will continue to be available for you, to answer your questions, to explain the systems and processes involved (prosecutor, courts, etc.), and to be a listening ear if you wish.
- We will consider your case seriously regardless of your gender or sexual orientation, and regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the suspect.
If you feel you are a sexual assault victim, call the CMU Police Department at 774-3081, to speak with a police officer. You may call any time of day or night.