Skip to main content

Non-FML Medical Leave

Non-FML medical leave

Employees who are not eligible for Family & Medical Leave may utilize accrued paid leave for an extended period of time for their illness or injury (or that of their immediate family member) with supervisor approval.  Employees may be required to submit medical verification substantiating the request.  Until such statement is filed, when requested, all absences will be considered as vacation time. Once a satisfactory statement is received, the vacation time will be replaced with any accrued sick time, unless sick time has been exhausted. CMU may require the employee to be examined by a physician selected by CMU prior to approving sick leave benefits.

How do I initiate a request for a non-FML medical leave?

Notify your supervisor within 30 days of your expected leave, or as soon as practicable. 

Provide medical certification including diagnosis and expected length of disability.  Medical certifications can be faxed directly to Human Resources at (989) 774-3256 or email to

For additional information, please contact Human Resources at (989) 774-2010 or review your appropriate employee group contract/handbook.