Graduation Ceremonies for CMU Online Students
Central Michigan University hosts Graduation Recognition Ceremonies across the United States. Dates, times and locations are listed below. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|June 3, 2023||10 AM EST|
Macomb Center for the Performing Arts
4575 Garfield Road
Clinton Township, MI 48038-1139
|June 7, 2023||3 PM CST|
Lewis and Clarke Building Auditorium
Fort Leavenworth, KS
Macomb ceremony instructions
Please see the information below for the CMU Online commencement ceremony that will take place on Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 10 a.m. at the Macomb Center for the Performing Arts. Complimentary reception to follow.
Instructions for graduates
Prior to arriving at the ceremony
- Purchase your cap and gown. See the cap and gown page for more information.
- Veterans, Active Duty Military, or Reserve Members: Central Michigan University has approved special military service recognition cords to honor all graduates currently serving in the active duty military, a reserve component, or any honorably discharged Veteran. The cords are available at no cost and will be provided at the ceremony. For additional information or to request a cord, please contact Kristin Horton at 248-526-2610.
Arriving at the ceremony
- Be sure to bring:
- Undergraduate students: Cap, gown, tassel and honors. We recommend pressing your gown prior to arriving at the ceremony.
- Graduate students: Cap, gown, tassel and hood. Hood will be carried by the student on the left arm during the ceremony. We recommend pressing your gown and hood prior to arriving at the ceremony.
- Graduates must arrive to Macomb Center for the Performing Arts by 9:15 a.m. to register and line up for the processional.
- Ushers will direct graduates to the dressing room. There you will find the "name card" table and provide your name to the attendant. You will receive a partially pre-printed card for the reader to announce your name to the audience and by the professional photographer. If needed, write your name phonetically at the top of the card.
- Leave personal belongings at home or with your guests. There will not be a secure area to store personal items during the ceremony.
- Graduates will be lined up for the processional into the Macomb Center according to degree. The processional begins promptly at 10 a.m.
Graduate name announcements and stage-crossing protocols
- Graduates will be directed up to the side stairs onto the stage by the marshals.
- Graduates will cross the stage as their name is read by the reader.
- Graduates will pause as they are crossing the stage form a formal photo.
- An individual photo will be taken as the graduates are exiting the stage.
- Graduates will be directed to their seats after their photo is taken and will remain standing until directed to be seated by the marshals.
An official photographer will take photographs of the graduates and send one complimentary proof to the address or email on the name card. If you wish to purchase prints, ordering information is included with your proof.
Students who are eligible for diplomas receive them by mail. Students who have not received their diplomas within eight weeks after the ceremony should email the Registrar's Office or call 989-774-3261.
Instructions for guests
Arriving at the ceremony
- Doors will open to the Macomb Center for the Performing Arts approximately 30 minutes prior to the ceremony.
- During the welcome and speaker's address, the Auditorium doors will be closed and admittance will be prohibited.
Please note the following items are prohibited:
- Food and beverage
- Alcoholic beverages
- Noisemakers of any kind
From Grosse Pointe/Detroit:
I-94 East to Exit 240, which is the M-59/Hall Road Exit. Proceed west six miles. Macomb Center is located on the southwest corner of M-59/Hall Road and Garfield Road.
From Port Huron:
I-94 West to Exit 240, which is the M-59/Hall Road Exit. Proceed west six miles. Macomb Center is located on the southwest corner of M-59/Hall Road and Garfield Road.
I-94 East to I-75 North to I-696 East to Groesbeck Highway. Proceed north on Groesbeck Highway to Utica Road. Proceed west on Utica Road to Garfield Road. Proceed north on Garfield Road. Macomb Center is located on the southwest corner of M-59/Hall Road and Garfield Road.
I-75 South to M-59/Hall Road East. Proceed east on M-59/Hall Road. Macomb Center is located one mile past Lakeside Mall on the southwest corner of M-59/Hall Road and Garfield Road.
From Ann Arbor/Farmington/Livonia:
I-275 North to I-696 East to Groesbeck Highway. Proceed north on Groesbeck Highway to Utica Road. Proceed west on Utica Road to Garfield Road. Proceed north on Garfield Road. Macomb Center is located on the southwest corner of M-59/Hall Road and Garfield Road.
Accommodations for persons with disabilities
Guests who require ADA seating should arrive at least one hour prior to the ceremony. Ushers at the main entrance will assist guests that require ADA accommodations. Each ADA seat will have one companion seat for a guest. Remaining members of the party will be seated nearby, if possible.
All information is subject to change. Please check back to this website periodically for the most up-to-date information.