Gold Divider

Central Michigan University's trademark licensing program protects, preserves and enhances CMU's heritage and identity.

CMU Trademarks

CMU's registered trademarks include logos, names, symbols and slogans. Only licensed vendors are approved to reproduce and/or sell product bearing CMU's registered trademarks.

Examples of university trademarks include any graphic representation relating to the following:

  • CentralTM
  • Central MichiganTM
  • Central Michigan UniversityTM
  • ChippewasTM
  • Fire Up Chips!TM *Please note the only approved use of the word "Chips" is within the phrase "Fire Up Chips!"

Action C Combination

Action C Combo

CMU Wordmark

CMU Wordmark

Action C

Action C

Official CMU Seal

CMU Seal

For more information about licensing and trademarks, contact Lindsay Darling at

Apply for a License

Any person, business or organization with an interest in marketing products bearing the trademarks of Central Michigan University needs to first obtain a license through Collegiate Licensing Company. This also includes sale to CMU departments, campus organizations and registered student organizations. There are two forms of licenses available with CMU through CLC: a retail license and an internal license.

Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC)
Phone: 770-956-0520

A copy of the licensing application can be downloaded and printed from CLC's website.

Apply Now

Guidelines for One-Time Trademark Usage

CMU trademarks and logos are generally reserved for use by CMU units, sponsored student organizations and licensed vendors only. But there are certain exceptions where individuals not affiliated with CMU may use the marks. They include:

  • Cakes for celebratory events such as birthdays, graduations, and weddings.
  • Gravestones and funeral urns.
  • High school graduation announcements and party invitations for students graduating from high school and planning to attend Central Michigan University.
  • Graduation announcements and party invitations for students graduating from Central Michigan University.

Get One-Time Usage Permission

Guidelines for Students Using CMU Marks

CMU registered student organization and club sports may use CMU marks.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs to use an official licensee, and where can I find a list of approved vendors?

If your order will include a Central Michigan University mark in the design, it must be produced by an official licensee. Please visit for a complete list of approved vendors for Central Michigan University.

If my product is not going to be resold, do I still have to select a licensed vendor?

All items bearing Central Michigan University marks must be produced by a licensed vendor, whether or not items are for resale. The main reason for this is brand consistency.  Products that are not being resold hold just as much brand importance as items that are sold at a retail location.   

Who must be licensed?

Anyone or any business/organization wishing to produce Central Michigan University's trademarks or verbiage on a product must have a license before offering the product for sale. This also includes sale to CMU departments, campus organizations and registered student organizations.

How does licensing a vendor benefit the university?

In addition to protecting CMU from product liability, the use of licensed vendors helps to ensure that the Central Michigan University name is not used improperly or on unsafe products, such as knives and flammable items. Furthermore, licensed vendors are required to join the Fair Labor Association, which monitors overseas factories.

What if I wish to use Central Michigan University trademarks on a publication or brochure?

The trademarks of CMU may not be used on publications, brochures, advertising or miscellaneous print material without permission from the university.

Why do the symbols ® and TM sometimes appear on products with the Central Michigan University name or logos?

The ® and TM signify ownership of a trademark. The TM symbol indicates that the word, symbol or design it is placed next to is a trademark. The ® symbol indicates that the trademark is federally registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. These symbols signal CMU's ownership of its trademarks and assist the university in its trademark enforcement efforts.

Why is liability a concern when distributing promotional items and giveaways?

In the event that a product with the Central Michigan University name or logos causes damage or injury, CMU could be held responsible. The trademark licensing agreement signed by licensed vendors helps to protect CMU by transferring product liability back to the vendor. Moreover, licensed vendors are required to carry product liability insurance.

What kinds of products can not be licensed?

Weapons, firearms and tobacco products are not appropriate items for licensing. Other products will be considered, but Central Michigan University has the right to decline any item.

How does the artwork approval process work?       

If you have completed the licensing process through CLC, you will receive information on submitting artwork through CLC's Brand Manager 360. This site manages the entire artwork approval process online. If you order a product through a CMU-licensed vendor, the artwork will be approved by CMU prior to manufacturing from that vendor.  

How can I tell if a product is officially licensed?

Look for the Collegiate Licensed Product Authorization label. This label assures you that the merchandise on which it is affixed has been approved for sale by Central Michigan University and CLC.

What does Central Michigan University do if unlicensed merchandise is discovered in the marketplace?

Merchandise produced without authorization may be considered counterfeit or infringing on CMU's trademarks and subject to all available legal remedies.