Online Course Instruction
- Be sure to check out our self-paced, online training experiences such as the Fundamentals of Blackboard and the Online Teaching Experience.
- To see what events we may be offering related to online delivery formats, check out our CIS Events Page.
Preparing Your Online Course Shell
To learn about copying content into your Blackboard course shell, see Performing a Course Copy.
If this is your first time teaching this course, or you’ve received revised content, our Using Ready-to -Teach Course Content video (6:54) will explain what Ready-To-Teach (RTT) content is, and explain how to find materials for use in your course.
If you will be teaching a combined/merged course, see Combining Course Shells.
Course Delivery Preparation Steps
Once content has been successfully copied into your Blackboard course shell, use the below checklist as a guide to assist with preparing your online course.
- Manage the Course Menu (review for duplicate or obsolete menu items)
- Remove Old Discussion Board Posts by former students that carried over with the course copy performed
- Re-configure Availability and Due Dates with the Date Management Tool
- Check for “hard” dates (e.g. April 23rd) that need updating
- Check for Time Released/Adaptive Released Materials to update
- If hosting virtual meetings, update meeting days and times
- Run the Link Checker tool to Identify Broken Links
- Remove Duplicate Grade Center Columns
- Prepare Exams
- Set up needed exam security measures (LDB, RM, proctored, etc.)
- Set exam availability dates
- Enter proctor passcodes if using proctored exams
- Add your instructor info/bio as this helps create a sense of community
- Add your contact info including the best days and times you can be reached
- Be sure to list any Virtual Meetings and/or Office Hours
- If you have not yet completed your syllabus, follow these Syllabus Build Tool (SBT) Guidelines to create your upcoming teaching syllabus
- Upload your syllabus or create a link to your SBT syllabus
- Send a Welcome Announcement
Make Course Available
- Make your course available 2-3 weeks before the start of the term