Mission and Vision
The cultural and social programs offered by the Office of Indigenous Affairs allow the campus and local community to come together to learn about Native American culture and history. The office serves several purposes. Indigenous Affairs attracts Indigenous students to CMU and helps them achieve their educational goals; builds student leaders through committee work and internship programs; serves as a liaison to Michigan’s Indian communities to determine their educational needs; and sponsors programs that provide opportunities for everyone to experience Indigenous cultures through activities, workshops and events.
- Organizing cultural events for the CMU community
- Maintaining a Indigenous resource collection
- Recruiting Indigenous students
- Serving as a liaison with tribal communities
- Providing support services for any CMU student, but particularly CMU Indigenous students
To create well-rounded future leaders who are culturally competent by providing quality programs and services to embrace and promote cultural appreciation and learning, as well as foster an atmosphere of inclusion and positive social change.