Mission and Vision
The cultural and social programs offered by the Office of Native American Programs allow the campus and local community to come together to learn about Native American culture and history. The office serves several purposes. NAP attracts American Indian students to CMU and helps them achieve their educational goals; builds student leaders through committee work and internship programs; serves as a liaison to Michigan’s Indian communities to determine their educational needs; and sponsors programs that provide opportunities for everyone to experience Native cultures through activities, workshops and events.
- Organizing cultural events for the CMU community
- Maintaining a Native American resource collection
- Recruiting Native American students
- Serving as a liaison with tribal communities
- Providing support services for any CMU student, but particularly CMU Native American students
To create well-rounded future leaders who are culturally competent by providing quality programs and services to embrace and promote cultural appreciation and learning, as well as foster an atmosphere of inclusion and positive social change.