We celebrate Native American culture
The cultural and social programs offered by our Office of Native American Programs allows our campus and local community to come together to learn about Native American culture and history.
The Office of Native American Programs exists in part because of the long-standing relationship that we have with the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe. The Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe is an active sponsor of CMU athletics, various CMU scholarships, and many cultural-related activities.
- Attract American Indian students to CMU and help them achieve their educational goals.
- Build student leaders through committee work and internship programs.
- Serve as a liaison to Michigan’s American Indian communities to determine their educational needs.
- Sponsor programs that provide opportunities for everyone to experience Native cultures through activities, workshops and events.
- Organizing cultural events for the CMU community
- Maintaining a Native American resource collection
- Recruiting Native American students
- Serving as a liaison with tribal communities
- Providing support services for any CMU student, but particularly CMU Native American students
- Annual CMU Celebrating Life Pow Wow
- Native American Heritage Month Celebration
- Film series and speakers
- North American Indigenous Summer Enrichment Camp (NAISEC)
- The North American Indigenous Student Organization (NAISO)
- The Three Fires American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES)
- Workshops and trainings specializing in Native American cultures and issues