Skip to main content

Transfer Student Q and A

Students who plan to transfer to Central Michigan University or are in their first semester of transferring to the institution may want to consider some of the questions outlined on this page as they move through their educational goals.

How do I apply to CMU?

Apply online. Completed applications (items 1-3 on this page) received by April 1 will receive priority consideration for access to first-come, first-served academic scholarships. Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis. Those received after April 1 will still be evaluated but may result in limited availability of scholarships.

How much is the application fee?

The application fee is $40. If you apply and are accepted into the Student Transition Enrichment Program before applying to CMU, your full application fee may be waived.

Can I transfer and begin in January?

Yes, you can transfer to CMU at any time.

Do I have to transfer from a university or a community college?

You may transfer to CMU from another university or community college.

When is the deadline for transferring?

There is no specific deadline for transferring to CMU. However, all of the steps necessary for transferring must be done prior to the semester you plan on attending the University. To receive priority consideration for financial aid, however, you must submit the FAFSA by February 15, if you have not already done so. The FAFSA may be filed beginning October 1.

If I take a year off from school and then go to CMU, am I still a transfer?

If you are taking a year off immediately after high school, you would not be considered a transfer student. If you are taking a year off after attending another college or university, you are a transfer student.

Am I still a transfer if I was admitted as a freshman then went somewhere ​else, and now, I am returning?

Yes, in this case, you would be considered a transfer student.

How do I know my application has been received?

You will receive an email notification saying that your application has been received.

How do I check the status of my application?

You can track the status of your application by logging in to your account.

If I am denied admission, can I reapply?

Yes, you may apply as many times as you would like. If it is less than one year, you do not need to pay the fee again. If it is more than one year you will need to pay the $40 fee again. You should contact the Office of Admissions at to have your record updated.

What are the requirements to be considered a transfer?

Meet with your academic advisor at your current college or university or contact CMU's admissions office. They will help you review transfer credit information, including transfer articulation agreements and equivalency information (The " What Will Transfer?"​ tool is also available).

Have your official transcripts sent directly to CMU from any colleges or universities you have attended. If you have completed 30 college credit hours or fewer, you must submit your high school transcript and ACT scores as well.

What courses will transfer to CMU?

To find out what courses will transfer to CMU, you can go to the following link and follow the instructions:   What​ will transfer?​

How do I get more information about the campus?

If you would like more information about the campus, you can visit the CMU website and click on the heading "About". There are also multiple other portions of the website where you can find information. You can find these using any link or the search​ bar at the top right corner of each page.

Do I have to stay on campus my first year as a transfer?

No, first-year transfer students do not have to stay in on-campus housing.

Can transfer students live on campus?

Yes, transfer students have the option to live on campus if they wish. 

How do I know what classes to take?

Meet with the STEP Academic Advisor or refer to your bulletin to confirm what classes you need to take as a transfer student.

How will my financial aid work or transfer now?

It will depend on whether or not you included Central Michigan University in your list of colleges to attend when filling out your FAFSA. If you included CMU, then your financial aid will transfer as is. If you did not include CMU, you must go back and include it on your FAFSA form.

Will credits I took in high school transfer also?

If you took college courses in high school, they may transfer to CMU, but not via your high school transcript. You will need to contact the college or university through which the course(s) was taken and have them send your transcripts to CMU.

Will my GPA transfer?

No, your Grade Point Average from the college you previously attended does not follow you to CMU. At CMU, your GPA will begin at 4.0.

Do I need to send transcripts from every school or just my last one?

You will need to send transcripts from every college or university you have attended in the past.

When and how do I register for classes?

The timeframe during which you may register for classes depends on your class standing and the number of credits you have earned until that point. You may click on the following link for more information regarding registering for classes: Register for Classes​.

My school doesn't grant the same number of credits per class as CMU. How do those classes transfer?

We always transfer in the credit hours earned at the other institution, regardless of how many credit hours the CMU course is.   Ex: If the course was 3 credit hours at Lansing Community College, we would transfer it in as 3 credit hours regardless if it was 3 or 4 here.

How do I apply for a transfer student scholarship?

The following link lists CMU scholarships available to transfer students: Scholarships for Transfer Students.

Is there a limit to the number of credits I can transfer?

There is no limit as to the number of credits CMU will accept from a regionally accredited community college. However, 64 credits is the maximum amount of credits that can be applied to any degree program. If you are transferring less than 30 credits, you need to include your high school transcripts along with your college transcripts.

How can I contact someone in my major or study area?

The following link will provide contact information for all departments on campus, including academic program departments: CMU Departments and Offices. The STEP Academic Advisor will be able to help as well.

What grade do I need in order for a course to transfer?

The grade required for transfer credit is a C- or 1.70 on a numerical grading scale. Courses taken to fulfill CMU's competency requirements, Written English I and II, Oral English or Mathematics, must be completed with a minimum grade of 2.00 or "C" to satisfy the competency.

Does CMU accept credits from online college courses and online universities?

Yes, CMU does accept credits from online courses and online universities. However, transferability​ is determined on a class-by-class basis. It is possible that not all classes will transfer to CMU.

What do I do once I've been accepted to CMU?

Get an enrollment checklist, and register for orientation.

How do I get involved on campus?

There are many ways to get involved on campus at CMU. Every fall semester, CMU hosts an event called "MainStage" during which all Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) on campus come together to speak with any student looking to get involved. You may also want to visit the Student Activities and Involvement department which lists and provides information (including contact information) about all RSOs on campus, as well as some CMU offices like​ the Volunteer Center, STEP, Multicultural Academic Student Success, LGBTQ Services, ​etc.

Does CMU accept military credit?

Yes, but it varies by case. The Registrar's Office will review your Joint Service Transcripts for transfer credit and determine the transferability to CMU.