Student Transition Enrichment Program (STEP)
We support first-generation and/or Pell-eligible transfer students
The Student Transition Enrichment Program, commonly referred to as STEP, is a KCP grant-funded program designed to support first-generation and/or Pell Grant-eligible transfer students in their transition from a community or tribal college to Central Michigan University. We invite you to learn more about the program by exploring our website and contacting our main office located in the Bovee University Center between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
STEP helps students achieve
- Increased grade point averages (GPAs).
- Advancement in their academic standing.
- Acceptance into majors.
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree.
Applicant requirements and expectations
- U.S. Citizen
- First Generation and/or Pell Eligible Transfer Student
- 2.5 GPA (Recommended)
- Attend 2 Academic Advising Meetings Per Semester During Last Year at Your Community College and First Year at CMU
- Attend 2 Workshops Per Semester During Last Year at Your Community College and First Year at CMU
Transfer Student Visit Days
Transfer Student Visit Days are hosted by Undergraduate Admissions every other month. They are for students attending community and tribal colleges.
STEP Welcome Receptions
Taking place the first few weeks of each semester, these events welcome new students to campus and provide further information about STEP programs.
On-campus workshops hosted by STEP focus on study skills, time management, note-taking, career/major exploration, goal-setting, and more.
Community and Tribal College Visits
Take place every month at our 4 partner institutions: Bay Mills Community College, Delta College, Lansing Community College, and Mid Michigan College.