News and Media
What we do
Promoting the University's strengths, achievements and thought leaders to local, regional and national media outlets.
- Sharing student, faculty, staff, and alumni stories — from research projects to Study Abroad experiences to internships turned jobs — on our CMU News site.
- Supporting CMU administrators, staff and faculty members in their interactions with media.
- Providing social media strategy and support.
- Issuing press releases, statements and media advisories.
- Overseeing crisis communications and issue management.
- Organizing press conferences and working with film crews.
We can help you publicize your research or creative works in several ways. We counsel on strategies and tactics that best suit your goals. Depending on your situation, we might:
- Work with you to determine the best options for obtaining media coverage.
- Write stories for CMU publications such as CMU News, Our CMU or Centralight, and pitch these stories to media.
- Obtain images to illustrate your story.
Media training and prep
Working with media outlets is a great way to tell our story and showcase the expertise of our faculty and staff. But if you're not used to doing it, it can seem a bit daunting. We're here to help you navigate it all, with media training, prep for interviews, and counsel on writing and placing opinion pieces. And we'll track results of your contact with the media, such as newspaper and magazine mentions, so you can see the impact of your work.
If you are contacted by the media with a request for an interview or information, send them our way, and we'll help provide a succinct and thoughtful response aligned with university priorities and brand.