Guidelines and Resources
Central Michigan University's social media presence serves as a resource for future, incoming and current students, as well as alumni, parents, friends, family, donors and the general public.
To achieve this, University Communications developed resources to help social media account managers across campus create a well-executed and well-maintained social media strategy. Resources on this page will help accounts managers develop, implement and sustain a social media strategy that reflects their area and CMU in the best possible light.
As an account manager, you are encouraged to showcase your area's individuality, yet it is important that all accounts using CMU branding uphold brand standards.
For questions not answered on this page, the University Communications staff is always here as a resource.
Social Media Guidelines
CMU's social media guidelines provide support and guidance for the management of your CMU social media channels and online activity. The guidelines will:
- Help you through the process of setting up a social media channel.
- Teach you how to register an existing social media channel that predates these guidelines.
- Specify general guidelines for social media channel use and administration.
- Provide resources to improve the effectiveness of your social media channels.
Social Media Strategy
- Ensure the use of a consistent voice.
- Help you select relevant, engaging content for your audience(s).
- Serve as a guide to achieving your goals and help you show the value of using social media.
- Enable you to look at the "big picture" and communicate how social media fits within a college or department.
- Once a request to create a new channel has been approved by University Communications, the social media strategy worksheet must be completed.
The completed form should then be submitted to University Communications, which will determine next steps in the process and convene with key stakeholders. As a group, they will talk through next steps and ways that their strategy can be implemented and strengthened.
Takeover Agreements and Guidelines
A common way to promote an event is to host an account takeover, which is when an account manager gives access and control of a social media account to another person for a set period of time.
Takeovers most commonly occur on Twitter and Instagram.
If you are interested in hosting an account takeover, an agreement must be used. This ensures both parties involved fully understand what is expected of them throughout the process.
Agreements that have been approved and recommended by the CMU general counsel are available for you to use. For access, contact us.