Dr. Anton Jensen completed his BA in April 1990 at Brigham Young University (BYU). As an undergraduate he did environmental analytical work with Dr. Delbert J. Eatough on the analysis of secondary metabolites of second-hand tobacco smoke. After graduation he began working with Dr. Steven A. Fleming (also at BYU) on the photo-cleavage of benzyl sulfur bonds. He defended his PhD in organic chemistry in December 1994. In January of 1995 he began postdoctoral research on the chemistry of fullerenes at New York University with Dr. David I. Schuster. Since August 1996 he has been teaching chemistry and supervising student research at Central Michigan University (CMU). In 2005 he was promoted to full professor. In 2008 he received the Faculty Member of the Year Award from the CMU ACSSA. In 2010 he received the award for Outstanding Achievement In College Chemistry Education by the Midland Section of the ACS. From fall 2010 until summer 2022 he served as associate chair of the CMU Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Since the summer of 2022 he has served as Chair of the CMU Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. In 2011, after working for many years on photocatalytic production of singlet oxygen, he changed his research direction to study mechanisms of organic reactions related to enzymes using cofactors derived from vitamins B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin). Over the course of his career he has received funding from the NSF, Army Research Labs, and a few other sources (greater than five hundred thousand dollars total). His interests other than chemistry include family history, hiking and several sports. He and Cathy are the parents of ten children and several grandchildren.
Publications & Presentations
- Jensen, A. W.*; Mohanty, D. K.*; Dilling, W. L.* “Review: The Growing Relevance of Biological Ene Reactions.” (2019) Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, 27, 686-691. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmc.2019.01.020
- Jensen, A. W.*; Flotka, D.; Xu, T.; Pullizzi, A. E.; Dilling, W. L.; Doverspike, J. C.; Meyerhoff, M. E.; Mohanty, D. K.* “The reaction of oximes with 4-phenyl-1,2,4-triazoline-3,5-dione to produce nitric oxide – model compounds for nitric oxide synthase.” (2018) Tetrahedron Lett. 59. 2173-2175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2018.04.064
- Jensen, A. W.*; Moore, J. M.; Kimble, M. V.; Ausmus, A. P.; Dilling, W. L. “Pyridinium oxidations of benzyl alcohol under microwave-assisted retro-ene conditions.” (2016) Tetrahedron Lett. 57, 5636-5638. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2016.11.013
- Moore, J. M.; Hall, J. M.; Dilling, W. L.; Jensen, A. W.*; Squattrito, P. J.*; Giolando, P.; Kirschbaum, K. Acta Cryst. 2017, C73, 531-535.
- “Heterogeneous Ti(IV) Catalysts for the Preparation of Epoxy Alcohols” Yang, X.; Jensen, A. ACS Polymer Preprints 2008, Philadelphia ACS meeting.
- “Singlet Oxygen Catalysts Including Condensed Carbon Molecules” Jensen, A. US Patent 7,341,972 2008.
- "Molecular Dynamics Simulation of PAMAM Dendrimer-Fullerene Conjugates: Generation One Through Four" Kujawski, M.; Rakesh, L.*; Gala, K.; Jensen, A.*; Fahlman, B.; Feng, Z. R.; Mohanty, D.* J. Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 2007, 7, 1670.
- "AFM Analysis of C60 and a Poly(amido amine) Dendrimer-C60 Nanoconjugate" Chai, M.*; Jensen, A. W.*; Abdelhady, H. G.; Tomalia, D. A. J. Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 2007, 7, 1401.
- “Preparation of Fullerene-Shelled Dendrimer-Core Conjugates” Jensen, A. W.*; Maru, B. S.; Zhang, X.; Mohanty, D. K.*; Fahlman, B. D.; Swanson, D. R.; Tomalia, D. A.* Nano Letters 2005, 5, 1171.
- “Singlet Oxygen Catalysts Including Condensed Carbon Molecules” Jensen, A. US Patent 6,806,223 B2, 2004.
- “Photohydrolysis of Substituted Benzyl Esters in Multilayered Polyelectrolyte Films” Jensen, A. W.; Desai, N. K.; Maru, B. S.; Mohanty, D. K.; Macromolecules 2004, 37, 4196.
- “Fullerene-Coated Beads as Reusable Catalysts” Jensen, A. W.; Daniels, C. J. Org. Chem. 2003, 68, 207.
- “Controlling the Permeability of Mulilayered Polyelectrolyte Films Through Derivatization, Cross-linking, and Hydrolysis” Dai, J.; Jensen, A. W.*; Mohanty, D. K.; Erndt, J.; Bruening, M. L.* Langmuir, 2001, 17, 931.
- Postdoc., Organic Chemistry, New York University, 1996
- Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, Brigham Young University, 1995
- B.S., Chemistry, Brigham Young University, 1990
Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Chemical Society