Associate Professor - Photography
Kris Sanford grew up in southeast Michigan. Kris has exhibited her work nationally and internationally, including group exhibitions in Amsterdam, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Houston, London, Miami, and New York. She was named a finalist for the 2018 Dorthea Lange-Paul Taylor Prize from the Center for Documentary Studies at Duke University. Other recent awards include the Fellowship 17 International Award from Silver Eye Center for Photography and the Visual Studies Workshop Residency Award through Critical Mass 2016. Her art explores relationships and queer identity through the use of appropriated images, portraiture, and video.
Publications & Presentations
- The National: Best Contemporary Photography 2022 (juried group exhibition), September 17th, 2022 – January 8th, 2023, Fort Wayne Museum of Art in Fort Wayne, IN.
BFA: 2000, College for Creative Studies
AA: 1996, Washtenaw Community College
• LGBTQ Issues
• Vintage Snapshots
Membership in Professional Organizations
- The Self and Other in Photography
- Design Foundations
- Introduction to Photography
Alternative Photographic Processes
- Photography Lighting Studio
- Advanced Photography Studio
- The History of Photography