More about Melanie Nelson
Publications & Presentations
- Kiser, ZM, Clark KA, Jane, BS, Vercellotti, GM and Nelson, MD. (2019). Association between Sensorineural Hearing Loss and Homozygous Sickle Cell Anemia: A Meta-Analysis. Blood. 134 (Supplemnt 1): 3453 DOI: 10.1182/blood-2019-127740.
- Nelson, MD., Mann, L., Trenkler, C., Lehman, ME. (2019). Static Positional Nystagmus in the Healthy Vestibular System. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology 30 (10), 883-895.
- Hoyme, AM, Nelson, MD. (2018). Should Patients Discontinue Medications Prior to Vestibular Testing? Audiology Today. 30(3), 22-28.
- Nelson MD, Akin FW, Riska KM, Andresen K, Stamps S. (2016) Vestibular assessment and rehabilitation: Ten-year survey trends of audiologists’ opinions and practice. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 27(2):126-40.
- Nelson, M.D. (2010). Vestibular Education: A Balancing Act. Advance for Audiologists, Vol 12:5, 12.
- Nelson, M.D., Wilson, R.W, and Kornhass, S. (2003) Performance of Musicians and Non-Musicians o Dichotic Chords, Dichotic CVs, and Dichotic Digits. Journal of the American Academy of Audiology. Vol 14:10, 536-544.
- Nelson, M.D., Hall, J.W. III and Jacobson, G.P. (1997). Factors affecting the recordability of the auditory evoked response Pb (P1), Journal of the American Academy of Audiology, 1997, Apr; 8(2):89-99.
- Nelson, M.D., and Hall, J.W. III. (1993). Performance on a dichotic synthetic musical chords test for professional musicians vs non-musicians. (Abstracts for the sixteenth Association for Research in Otolaryngology Meeting, Abstract No. 603).
- Hall, J.W. III, and Nelson, M.D. (1991). P300 response in children with central auditory processing disorders (CAPD). (International Electric Response Audiometry Study Group Symposium Abstracts.
Credentials, Certifications & Awards
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A)
- James Jerger Award of Excellence in Student Research Finalist, 2016
- Best in Vestibular Award, 2016
- Excellence in Teaching Award Nominee, 2014, 2015, and 2019
- James Jerger Award of Excellence in Student Research, 2009
- Research Excellence Funds Award, 1999
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, John Hopkins University, Department of Otolaryngology, 1994-1996
- PhD, Vanderbilt University, 1994
- MA, University of Maryland-College Park, 1985
- BS, Andrews University, 1983
- Imbalance/dizziness, falling, and hearing loss in individuals living with sickle cell disease
- Vestibular assessment
- Auditory evoked potentials neurodiagnostics
- Central auditory processing disorders
Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Speech-Language and Hearing Association
- American Academy of Audiology
Current Licenses/Certifications Held
Holder, Audiology License, State of Michigan
- AUD 740: Neuroanatomy
- AUD 781: Electrophysiological Techniques in Audiology
- AUD 782: Evaluation and Treatment of Vestibular Disorders
- AUD 783: Advanced Electrophysiological and Vestibular Techniques in Audiology