Dr. Zakharova is an Assistant Professor of Applied Geophysics at the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences. Her research interests lie at the intersection of petrophysics and geomechanics in application to energy resources, climate change solutions, and environmental protection. She feels passionate about applying her knowledge to societally relevant problems and promoting education on sustainable energy solutions. At CMU, she has established a new research group, the Geophysics and Geomechanics Laboratory (G2), and is actively involving both undergraduate and graduate students in her research.
Publications & Presentations
- Saurabh&, S., Harpalani, S., and Zakharova, N., 2022, Flow regime evolution and stress-dependent permeability in nanoporous rocks. Fuel, 310, 122413.
- Adeyilola#, A., Zakharova, N., Liu&, K., Gentzis, T., Carvajal-Ortiz, H., Ocubalidet, S., and Harrison III, W. B., 2022, Hydrocarbon potential and Organofacies of the Devonian Antrim Shale, Michigan Basin. International Journal of Coal Geology, 249, 103905.
- Zakharova, N.V., and D.S. Goldberg, 2021, Mechanical properties of Mesozoic rift basin formations, Geophysics and Geomechanics for Geo-Energy and Geo-Resources, 7:70.
- Liu&, K., Jin, Z., Zakharova, N., Zeng, L., Adeyilola#, A., and Ostadhassan, M., 2021, Proper Experimental Parameters in N2 Adsorption: The Effects of Data Points and Equilibrium Interval Time. Energy & Fuels, 35(24), 20060-20070.
- Liu&, K., Zakharova, N.V., Adeyilola#, A., Gentzis, T., Carvajal-Ortiz, H., Fowler, H., 2021, Understanding the CO2 adsorption hysteresis under low pressure: an example from the Antrim Shale in the Michigan Basin: Preliminary observations, Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 203: 108693.
- Liu&, K., Zakharova, N.V., Adeyilola#, A., and L. Zeng, 2021, Experimental study on the pore shape damage of shale samples during crushing process, Energy Fuels, 35, 3, 2183-2191.
- Liu&, K., Ostadhassan, M., Jang, H. W., Zakharova, N. V., and Shokouhimehr, M., 2021, Comparison of fractal dimensions from nitrogen adsorption data in shale via different models, RSC Advances, 11(4), 2298-2306.
- Liu&, K., Zakharova, N.V., Gentzis, T., Adeyilola#, Carvajal-Ortiz, H., Fowler, H., 2020, The microstructure characterization of a biogenic shale gas formation – insights from the Antrim Shale, Michigan basin, Journal of Earth Sciences, 1-12.
- Zakharova, N.V., D.S. Goldberg, P.E. Olsen, D. Collins, and D. Kent, 2020, Reservoir and Sealing Properties of the Newark Rift Basin Formations: Implications for Carbon Sequestration, The Leading Edge, 39 (1), 38-46.
- McNeill, Shillington, Carter, Everest, Gawthorpe, Miller, Phillips, Collier, Cvetkoska, De Gelder, Ferreiro, Doan, Ford, Geraga, Gillespie, Hemelsdael, Herrero-Bervera, Ismaiel, Janikian, Kouli, Le Ber, Li, Maffione, Mahoney, Machlus, Michas, Nixon, Oflaz, Omale, Panagiotopoulos, Pechlivanidou, Sauer, Seguin, Sergiou, Zakharova, Green, 2019, High-resolution record reveals climate-driven environmental and sedimentary changes in an active rift, Nature Scientific Reports, 9(1), 3116.
- Olsen, Geissman, Kent, Gehrels, Mundil, Irmis, Lepre, Rasmussen, Giesler, Parker, Zakharova, Kürschner, Miller, Baranyi, Schaller, Whiteside, Schnurrenberger, Noren, Shannon, O’Grady, Colbert, Edey, and Kinney, 2018, Colorado Plateau Coring Project, Phase I (CPCP-I): A continuously cored, globally exportable chronology of Triassic continental environmental change from Western North America, Scientific Drilling, 24, 15-40.
- Zakharova, N.V., and D.S. Goldberg, 2018, Formation strength and elastic wave velocities in rift basin mudstones: effects of stress, frequency, and lithology, ARMA 18-1422, Proceedings of the 52nd US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, 17-20 June 2018, American Rock Mechanics Association.
- Zakharova, N.V., Goldberg, D.S., Olsen, P.E., Kent, D.V., Morgan, S., Yang, Q., Stute, M., Matter, J., 2016, New insights into lithology and hydrogeology of the northern Newark Rift Basin, Geochem., Geophys., Geosyst., 17(6), 2070-2094, doi:10.1002/2015GC006240
- Zakharova, N.V., and D.S. Goldberg, 2015, Data report: Analysis of shear wave anisotropy in upper oceanic crust, ODP/IODP Hole 1256D, Proceedings of the Integrated Ocean Drilling Program, 335, doi:10.2204/iodp.proc.335.202.2015
- O'Mullan, G.D., Dueker, M.E., Clauson, K., Yang, Q., Umemoto, K., Zakharova, N., Matter, J., Stute, M., Takahashi, T., Goldberg, D., 2015, Microbial stimulation and succession following a test well injection simulating CO2 leakage into a shallow Newark Basin aquifer, PLoS ONE 10(1), doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0117812
- Zakharova, N., and D. Goldberg, 2014, In Situ Stress Analysis in the Northern Newark Basin: Implications for Induced Seismicity from CO2 Injection, J. Geophys. Res. Solid Earth, 119, doi:10.1002/2013JB010492
- Yang, Q., J. Matter, M. Stute, T. Takahashi, G. D. O'Mullan, K. Umemoto, K. Clauson, M. E. Dueker, N. V. Zakharova, and D. Goldberg, 2014, Groundwater hydrogeochemistry in injection experiments simulating CO2 leakage from geological storage reservoir, Int. J. Greenhouse Gas Control 26, 193-203, doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2014.04.025
- Zakharova, N., D. Goldberg, and D. Collins, 2013, In Situ Stress Constrains from Borehole Data in the Context of CO2-Storage Site Characterization, Paper #739 Proceedings of the 47th US Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, 23-26 June 2013, San Francisco, California, USA; ISBN: 978-0-9894844-0-4
- Zakharova, N., D. Goldberg, C. Sullivan, M. Herron, and J. Grau, 2012, Petrophysical and Geochemical Properties of Columbia River Flood Basalt: Implications for Carbon Sequestration, Geochem., Geophys., Geosyst., 13(11), doi:10.1029/2012GC004305
- Cranganu, C., M. Villa, M. Saramet, N. Zakharova, 2009, Petrophysical characteristics of source and reservoir rocks, Histria Basin, Western Black Sea, J. Petrol. Geol., 32(4), 357-371
#student co-author, &postdoctoral advisee
- Ph.D., Earth & Environmental Sciences, Columbia University, New York
- M.S., with Honors, Applied Geophysics, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia
- B.S., with Honors, Geology and Geophysics, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Russia
- Stress heterogeneity in shallow crust, borehole methods for stress evaluation, induced seismicity
- Carbon capture, utilization, and storage (CCUS); carbon storage in basalts, fractured formations, and unconventional reservoirs
- Petrophysics of unconventional gas shales; microbial gas generation, storage, and transport mechanisms
- Development and evolution of rift basins
- Physical properties of oceanic crust
- GEL 100: Introduction to Earth Systems
- GEL 105: Dangerous Planet
- SCI 285: Earth Science for Elementary Teachers
- GEL 280: Geomath
- GEL 372: Intro to Geophysics
- GEL/ENS 409: Professional Development in the Fields of Environmental Science and Geoscience
- GEL 420: Applied Geostatistics