More About VINCENT MUMFORD
Publications & Presentations
- Mumford, V. (2009). Models for integrating service learning in physical education and physical activity. In M.B. Miller & J. Nendel (Eds.). Service learning in physical education and other related professions: A global perspective. Manuscript accepted for publication.
- Lambert, R. & Mumford, V. (2009). Recent views of service learning from a recent graduate. In M.B. Miller & J. Nendel (Eds.). Service learning in physical education and other related professions: A global perspective. Manuscript accepted for publication.
- Mumford, V. (2009). Athletes, recognition, and the formation of identity. In P.M. Jenlink & F. H. Townes (Eds.). The struggle for identity in today’s schools: Cultural recognition in a time of increasing diversity. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Mumford, V., Fuller, D., & Chandler, J. (in press). Providing equity and access in physical education for students with learning disabilities. Strategies.
- Lewis, C., Mumford, V., Singer, J. & Bonner, F. (in press). Recruiting African American teacher candidates using an athletic model: New directions for diversifying the teacher workforce.Journal of Educational Concepts.
- Adamson, G. & Mumford, V. (2008). Experiential activities in physical education classes. The MAHPERD Journal.
- Mumford, V. & Lewis, C. (2008, Spring). Recruiting underrepresented students into sport management professional preparation programs using an athletic model. The MAHPERD Journal, 30-35.
- Mumford, V., Inunugu, J., Johnson, J. & Smith, S. (2008, Winter). Service learning in sport management: A community health project. The Sport Journal, 11 (2).
- Rutledge, B. & Mumford, V. (2008, Winter). Teaching students how to make a difference in the world through service learning. The MAHPERD Journal, 5-8.
- Scott, K. & Mumford, V. (2007). Critical thoughts: Reexamining teacher training, cultural awareness, and school reform. Multicultural Perspectives, 9 (4), 54-58.
- Edwards, O.W., Mumford, V.E., Shillingford, M.A., & Serra-Roldan, R. (2007). Developmental assets: A prevention framework for students considered at-risk. Children and Schools, 29 (3), 145-153.
- Edwards, O.W., Mumford, V.E., & Serra-Roldan, R. (2007). A positive youth development model for students considered at-risk. Journal of International School Psychology, 28 (1), 29-45.
- Lewis, C., Mumford, V. & Singer, J. (2007). Recruiting African American male teachers using an athletic model. Strategies for diversifying the teaching force. Proceedings of the Hawaii Internal Conference on Education.
- Mumford, V., Kane, J. (2006). Service-learning in sports. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance, 77 (3),38-43.
- Mumford, V. (2006). Well, but not well enough: A look at women’s participation in sports in Florida two-year colleges. FAHPERD Journal.
- Mumford, V. (2006). Promoting equity and access in two-year college intercollegiate athletic programs. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 30 (3), 213-222.
- Hewitt, R. & Mumford, V. (2005, Fall). Marketing to students: Big business, access, and the commercialization of schooling. Florida Educational Leadership, 6 (1), 24-27.
- Edwards, 0. W. & Mumford, V. (2005). Children raised by grandparents: Implications for social policy. International Journal of Sociology & Social Policy, 25 (8), 18-30.
- Mumford, V. & Gergley, G. (2005, Summer). Loser or legend: Beginning considerations for interscholastic coaches. The Sport Journal, 8 (3).
- Edwards, 0. W. & Mumford, V. (2005). Mean IQ differences and reducing disproportionate representation of African Americans in gifted education. Psychology and Education, 42 (2), 35-44.
- Blanchett, W., Mumford, V., Beachum, F. (2005, March/April). Urban school failure & disproportionality in a post-Brown era: Benign neglect of the constitutional rights of students of color. Remedial and Special Education, 26 (2), 70-81.
- Mumford, V. (2005, Winter). A look at women’s participation in sports in Maryland two-year colleges. The Sport Journal, 8 (1).
- Jackson, E., Quarterman, J., Yoo, E., Mumford, V., & Kim, K. (2004, Winter). Profile of community college athletic directors in Florida. FAHPERD Journal, 42 (1), 13-16.
- Mumford, V. (2004). Educational change models. In A. Harvey-Smith (Ed.), The Seventh Learning College Principle: A Framework for Transformational Change in Learning Organizations. Washington, DC: National Association of Student Personnel Administrators.
- Mumford, V., Kane, J., & Maina, M. (2004, January). Winning Strategies in Marketing Your Sporting Events. Scholastic Coach & Athletic Director, 73 (6),50-54.
- Mumford, V. (2004). Teaching Your Department to Fish: Steps for Raising Money at Community Colleges During Tough Economic Times. JUCO Review, 15-16.
- Mumford, V. (2004, February). GamePlan Communication: Using Technology to Improve Communication. Athletic Management, 16 (2),24-27.
- Hopp, C., Mumford, V., & Williams, F. (2003). The Role of Mentoring for Future Academicians. In A. L. Green & L. V. Scott (Eds.), Journey to the Ph.D.: How to Navigate the Process As African Americans (pp. 255 – 269). Sterling, VA: Stylus Publishing.
- Mumford, V. (2003). Game Plan Leadership: Creating a Positive Work Environment. Athletic Management. 15, 25-27.
- Mumford, V. (2003, June 10). Running to the Ball: A New Growth Strategy for Success through Sports. Community College Times, p. 3,13.
- Mumford, V. & Fong, T. (2003). Standing Room Only: Six Guaranteed Strategies to Energize Fans and Increase Sales and Attendance at Community College Sporting Events. JUCO Review, 54, 18-19.
- Mumford, V. & Gergley, G. (2003). Weapons of Mass Instruction:100 Ways to Promote Your Sport Program. Lakeland, FL: ISC Wellness.
- Mumford, V. & Fuller, V. (2002). Creating a New Scoreboard: Using Key Performance Indicators to Measure Success. Athletic Management, 14,24-27.
- Mumford, V. (1999). Fun at Work: Improving Employee Productivity and Morale. Athletic Management , 11,13-14.
- Mumford, V. (1997). Ten Steps to Holding a Successful Meeting. Athletic Management, 9,10-11.
- Mumford, V. (1997). Eleven Steps to Conducting a Successful Special Event. Athletics Administration, 32, 47.
Credentials, Certifications & Awards
- Michigan Campus Compact Faculty/Staff Community Service Learning Award
- American Red Cross Michigan Heroes Award
- Volunteers are Central Award
- Outstanding Mentor of the Year
- Holmes Scholar
- EdD, University of Delaware
Membership in Professional Organizations
- Sport Marketing Association
- North American Society for Sport Management
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- Michigan Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- National Association of Holmes Scholar Alumni
- Florida Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance
- PES 550: Sport Fundraising
- PES 650: Sport Marketing
- PES 603: Administration of Sport and Athletics