Are you ready to address today’s environmental problems and help society prepare for a just, sustainable, and resilient future? The Environmental Studies major prepares tomorrow's leaders to promote excellence in environmental policy and practice in commercial, governmental, and non-profit organizations, for the betterment of society, by providing interdisciplinary environmental knowledge, skills, and communication from local to global scales.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
The planet needs expert problem solvers with the knowledge, skills and ingenuity to tackle climate and environmental issues.
If you want to help solve the biggest problems and challenges facing our planet, we'll give you the skills you need to lead the way. Your education will be infused with a strong sense of global responsibility and passion for earth’s precious resources.
Plus, at CMU, you’re in the ideal location. You'll be close to environmental job opportunities in Michigan's water-rich north and close to decision makers in Lansing. It’s the optimum place to start on your journey in making a great difference as an environmental expert.
As a student in our environmental studies program, you’ll:
- Learn from faculty with real-world experience who connect the classroom with the world.
- Take classes from natural and social sciences to address how humans interact with the environment.
- Customize your major with courses about water, energy, sustainability, resiliency, urban planning, and more!
- Prepare for environmental careers with a senior capstone experience that teaches practical skills and helps students show off their skills to future employers with a capstone project.
- Join a vibrant, supportive community. Student-led clubs offer field trips to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.
Careers & Outcomes
Graduates of the environmental studies program at CMU gain the expertise and skills that contribute to progress in addressing the world’s most critical environmental challenges in many high-demand occupations.
|Alternative Energy Manager||$72,418|