If you have a passion for health, fitness, and working with people to improve their quality of life, a degree in health and physical education is right for you. This major will give you the skills, knowledge, credentials, and field experience to teach health and physical education to K-12 students.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
Currently, the health trends of our nation continue to decline as obesity, hypokinetic disease, mental health issues, substance abuse, and many more health complications are rising. As a health and physical educator, you will be prepared to be the front line of defense to educate and induce behavioral change in K-12 students to improve their health and wellbeing for a lifetime.
Learn from experienced faculty in exceptional facilities with top notch equipment. Through your coursework, you’ll gain knowledge in physical fitness, nutrition, disease prevention, functional motor competency, fitness plan development, assessment, and more. Plus, students will accrue over 100-hours in PK-12 schools as a health and physical educator, fully preparing you to be a highly effective teacher.
You'll graduate equipped to not only teach at the elementary and secondary levels but also to pursue careers in fitness training, sports and recreation, athletic coaching, corporate wellness and more.
As a health and physical education student here, you'll:
- Graduate certified to teach K-12 subject matters, health and physical education.
- Be able to graduate in four-years with no summer classes.
- Be fully prepared to pass the teacher certification test, as our students first time pass rate is 20% higher than the state average.
- Gain real-world health and physical education skills and knowledge through 100-hours of on-site field experience.
- Be highly sought after for employment, as we have school distracts from Michigan and across the country contacting us looking for our graduates to hire, as 100% have been employed over the last several years.
- Be able to apply to 12 undergraduate scholarships, including the Bob Currie Memoria, the Dan and Bobbie Rose Scholarship, the Grace L. Ryan Scholarship, and more.
For more information about this program contact the Department of Physical Education and Sport.
Learn more about the 4-Year Plan with HPE and Education courses, 4-Year Plan with HPE, Education and university program courses, 3-Year Plan for Transfers and Change of Major, and the 5-Year Pre-Physical Therapy Plan.
Careers & Outcomes
Our health and physical education majors are equipped for a number of fulfilling careers in physical education, athletic coaching, corporate wellness, nutrition, strength and conditioning and more.
|Health & Wellness Coach||$46,103|
|Public Health Officer||$46,530|
|Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor||$40,700|