Guest and Non Degree Seeking Students
How it works
- If you’re enrolled at another college or university and want to transfer your CMU credits to your home institution, you’ll enroll as a guest student at CMU.
- If you’re not interested in transfer credit, you’ll enroll as a non-degree-seeking student.
The application process is the same either way.
As a guest or non-degree-seeking student, you can take a certain number of credits at CMU:
- Up to 12 credit hours at the undergraduate level
- Up to 6 credit hours at the graduate level
Guest students may enroll in an online MBA course on a case-by-case basis and must obtain permission from the MBA department prior to enrollment.
How to apply
Whether you want to take classes as a guest or non-degree-seeking student, follow these steps to apply for admission.
Step 1: Review the Course Offerings
Browse courses using our Course Search tool to make sure the course you want to take is available.
If you want your course credit to transfer to your home institution, confirm that your school will accept transfer credit for the course. You can do this by contacting your school or (if your school is in Michigan) by checking the Michigan Transfer Network.
Step 2: Submit the Application
The admissions process may take several days.
Step 3: Submit Transcripts (if applicable)
Most students don’t need to submit official transcripts in order to be admitted. However:
- If you are an international student, you will need to provide official transcripts from all previous and current schools.
- If your chosen course has a prerequisite, you need to submit an unofficial transcript to show that you have met the requirements.
Once you've been admitted, you'll have a few more steps to take.
Step 1: Set Up Your CMU Global ID
Activate your CMU Global ID as soon as possible. It gives you access to CMU systems such as the student portal, your cmich email account and Blackboard.
Step 2: Complete the Online Orientation
The Undergraduate Orientation and Graduate Orientation provide an important introduction to coursework at CMU.
Step 3: Register for Courses
Explore the registration process and schedule. Register for classes through the Course Search and Registration System.
Registration ends five days prior to the start of class, and seats in courses are limited. So register early!
If you have any problems with registering for classes, contact a registration clerk at 800-664-2681, option #1.
Step 4: Review Our Resources
We're here to help you every step of the way, like with our student resources.
Step 5: Prepare for Class
Here’s how to make sure you’re ready on day one:
• Review your course syllabus.
• Order textbooks from MBS Direct or the CMU Bookstore.
• If you are in an online course, log into your class through Blackboard as soon as it becomes available.