BLOG: Presidential Perspectives

Countdown to commencement and happy holidays

Drone shot image of cmu and warriner hall during winter with snow

In just a few days, nearly 3,000 students will complete their educational journey at Central Michigan University. Commencement is an incredible achievement — the culmination of many years of late nights, long days and a lot of very hard work. I am immensely proud of the students who will become our newest alumni this weekend.

They have accomplished what they came here to do: They have earned their Central Michigan University degree. Milestones like this do not come easily, nor should they. The struggle that is part of every academic journey is the very thing that shapes and enriches the experience. These graduates are both smarter and stronger for having made the effort.

Many of our current students and faculty are in the throes of exam week. It’s a stressful time, and some may be asking themselves: “Why do I do this?”

Our graduates have the answer. It is because education changes lives. It enables us to see and think differently. It opens our minds to new ideas and perspectives. It shows us our strengths and empowers us to address our differences. THAT is why we do this.

Students: Study hard and finish strong. Make these last few days of the semester count!

Faculty and staff: thank you for your hard work and support for our students. They — and I —appreciate your efforts.

Campus will be much quieter in just a few days. I will miss the energy and excitement of this semester, but I look forward to a few days to reflect and spend time with my family. I hope you will do so, too.

The holidays are an excellent time to consider the many blessings we’ve had throughout the year and to set our goals for the new year ahead.

As you think ahead to next semester, I hope you’ll plan to make it your best yet. What can you do to start things off on a powerful, positive note? What great things do you want to achieve, and who will you work with to make them happen? I can’t wait to see what you’ll do.

Enjoy this time off from classes and work. Spend time with people you love and who uplift you and fill your spirit. Whatever you choose to celebrate, I hope you’ll do so safely and with joy.

Be well and happy holidays,

Bob Davies
Blog: Presidential Perspectives posted | Last Modified: | Author: by Bob Davies, CMU President | Categories: President's Office
The views and opinions expressed in these blog pages are strictly those of the page author.