​​​​​​When seeking solutions, students should always start at the source (e.g., their instructor, their advisor, their roommate, etc.).  If you are unable to resolve the issue directly with the party involved, advance to the next level of appeal (Department Chair, Dean, Director, etc.).

Most of the time, the student finds resolution through these normal academic or administrative channels. Academic advisers, department heads and deans can help you resolve problems that occur. Sometimes you may not know what the "normal" administrative channel is. That is when the Student Ombuds may help.

The Student Ombuds

  • provides a safe place to discuss issues
  • may assist in clarifying issues and answer questions
  • explain university policy and procedures
  • provide information regarding campus resources
  • suggest referrals
  • brainstorm and explore options
  • track trends and general issues

The Student Ombuds does NOT

  • Advocate for any individual or group
  • Make decisions for you
  • Offer legal advice
  • Hear formal complaints
  • Participate in any formal process
  • Maintain records

Notice: The Student Ombuds function is not a university office of notice. The office will not receive formal complaints to be investigated and processed within the existing university procedures. However, the Ombuds can refer students to a university office that does receive formal complaints.