Be on alert for scams!
EARLY FAFSA FOR 2019-2020
It has come to our attention that scammer(s) may be fraudulently representing themselves as FedLoan Servicing agents. The scammers are requesting banking information to deposit funds into customers' accounts.
Only a few isolated cases have been alleged, but they have not been confirmed yet. We will continue to provide information to you as we become more aware of any additional details. In the meantime, we recommend that you stay on alert should you be contacted. Know that FedLoan Servicing agents will never request your financial information in order to deposit funds into your account. In some circumstances, FedLoan Servicing agents will collect information to process payments for you. If you are contacted by a FedLoan Servicing agent and are not sure of the calls validity, please explain your concern, disconnect the call and contact us at 1-800-699-2908.
Federal Direct Student Loan Disclosure Statements
Students receiving a Federal Direct Loan will receive a Disclosure Statement from the Federal Loan Origination Center for each new loan. The disclosure statement will provide comprehensive information about the types of loans, loan amounts, the loan period, and anticipated disbursement dates. Save every Disclosure Statement for reference.
If you have decided not to accept the loans offered please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org Please be sure to include your full name and CMU ID number with your cancellation request.
Activate Student and/or Parent Loans
: Returning Central Michigan University students who have previously borrowed a Federal Direct Loan while attending CMU do NOT
need to complete another Master Promissory Note or loan counseling.
To receive your Federal Direct Student Loan, you must first complete a Loan Agreement/Master Promissory Note (MPN), the legal document you must sign agreeing to pay back your loan, and complete loan counseling.
The U.S. Department of Education has created an online Loan Agreement/MPN for all NEW BORROWERS ... this online function speeds up processing and eliminates the need to mail paper MPNs.
If you believe you have already completed a Loan Agreement/MPN, please use the website to verify that you have a valid Agreement/MPN on file: https://studentloans.gov
Your Federal Student Aid Identification (FSA ID) is required to complete the online Promissory Note. If you do not have an FSA ID, you can obtain one at https://studentloans.gov
Please start the process to receive your Federal Direct Student Loan before July 15th. If you have any questions, please call CMU's Scholarship & Financial Aid Office at 989-774-3674.
The 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be available October 1, 2018. Most students qualify for some form of financial aid so be sure to file your 2019-2020 FAFSA early.
2019-2020 FAFSA will allow students to report tax information from
Tax Year Information to Use|
| Fall 2018 - Summer 2019|| October 1, 2017|| 2016|
| Fall 2019 - Summer 2020|| October 1, 2018|| 2017|
| Fall 2020 - Summer 2021|| October 1, 2019|| 2018|
Student Guide to Your Financial Aid Award
A complete description of all of aid offered at CMU, as well as information about your rights and responsibilities as a financial aid recipient is provided in our
Student Guide to Your Financial Aid Award.
Students are cautioned never to share their CMU ID and password with anyone. Instead, they may grant parents, spouses, and others access by creating guest access for them. Delegates may be granted access to view tuition and fee charges, view payments received and view financial aid information. Students can add or remove a delegate by signing onto Central Link.
Instructions for setting up Delegate Access can be found here.
CMU Merit Scholarship Renewal
CMU merit scholarship(s) recipients must meet the following criteria to renew their merit scholarship:
- A student must be enrolled full time (12 credits or more) each semester as a degree seeking student. Waitlisted courses do not count toward official enrollment.
- Students must earn 30 new credit hours each academic year (excluding summer semester). CLEP, AP, IB and dual enrolled credits do
not count toward the 30 new credit hours.
- Merit scholarships are renewable for three consecutive years (8 semesters total) or to the point where the student has completed degree requirements for their first bachelor's degree; whichever comes first. Undergraduate students who graduate in less than 8 semesters forfeit their remaining scholarship eligibility.
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.25 at CMU. Scholarship renewal will be reviewed on an annual basis at the end of each spring semester.
- If a student chooses to attend another college or university or withdraws from CMU, the scholarship is forfeited.
- If a student defers their admission for up to one year (due to reasons other than enrolling at another college or university), the scholarship(s) may be deferred to the new entry term. Students must submit a formal deferral request, in writing to the CMU Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- If a student accepts a CMU scholarship that covers the full cost of attendance, the higher award takes the place of all other scholarships. Subsequently, if a student does not meet the renewal criteria for the scholarship that covers full cost, or decides not to continue with that scholarship program, they cannot "reclaim" the other scholarship.
Why we ask for Social Security Numbers
While CMU does not require your Social Security number for admission consideration, it is necessary for applicants who wish to be considered for financial aid and Hope Scholarship/Lifetime Learning tax credit to provide a Social Security number to the university. To protect your privacy, your Social Security number will not be used as your CMU student identification number.
Net Price Calculator
Based on the information you provide, this calculator will estimate your total out of pocket expenses as well as provide you with resources to help finance your education.
For the calculator - Click Here
Financial Wellness Collaborative
Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
School Code: 002243