7/20/2020 Update: funds designated by the CARES Act for CMU student grants are nearly depleted. All Student Assistance Fund applications received through 7/20/2020 will be evaluated; however, the general application is now closed. You may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with an explanation of your circumstances and a representative will direct you to where an application may be completed on a first-come, first-served basis and as funding allows.
Central Michigan University is working diligently to ensure that students eligible for grants provided for by the CARES Act receive funds as soon, and as efficiently, as possible. We have endeavored to make grant funds available to as many students as we can while complying with guidelines set forth by the Department of Education.
CMU CARES Grant
During the second week of May, grants were distributed to undergraduate students with a FAFSA on file and with appropriate financial need indicators. Over 7,000 students received $500 grants.
CMU CARES Student Assistance Fund
Main campus students eligible for Title IV funds (see below) may now apply for a CMU CARES Student Assistance Fund grant. By completing an application, CMU students may share extenuating circumstances not accurately reflected in their 2019-2020 FAFSA.
- Title IV-eligible graduate and doctoral students may apply for these funds.
- Students who received a $500 CARES Act undergraduate need-based student grant may also be eligible to receive additional funding with this application.
Please note: Qualification to apply does not assure that funds will be awarded. Funding is limited, and students will be considered on the basis of the application and time of submission. You will receive an email notification whether or not your application is approved. Once funds have been exhausted, the application will no longer be available. Qualified students may submit an application below.
We anticipate a high volume of applications. Please allow 7-10 business days for review of your application. If you have not received a response after that time, you may contact email@example.com.
Fired up For Fall Grant
During the second week of July, $425 grants were distributed to students enrolled in fall 2020 classes and that have an EFC < $5,000 as calculated by the 2019-2020 FAFSA.
To qualify for CARES Act grant funding, students
must meet, at minimum, the following criteria:
- Be eligible for Title IV (federal grant and/or loan funding).
- You must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or eligible non-citizen
- You must hold a valid Social Security number (some exceptions are allowed for students from the Freely Associated States).
- You must hold a high school diploma or its equivalent, such as a GED, or have completed a high school curriculum in an approved homeschool setting.
- You must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible degree or certificate program at CMU.
- File a 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- If you have not yet submitted a FAFSA for the current year, you may do so through June 30, 2020.
- Complete your form at
- Be enrolled in a CMU main campus program which was in session or started on/after March 13, 2020.
- Demonstrate financial hardship resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic impacting the ability to
meet certain expenses, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and child care. These are the areas specifically outlined by the Department of Education's guidelines for award eligibility.
The U.S. Department of Education specifies that certain groups of students are
ineligible to receive awards. This includes:
- Online students.
- Students without eligibility for Title IV (federal grant and/or loan funding).
CARES Act grants will not be applied to student account balances, even upon request. Per U.S. Department of Education guidelines, the full amount must be refunded directly to the student. When submitting your application, please also ensure that your refund method on file is correct. Visit the
BankMobile website to verify.
Note: if you are unable to access your online account or have questions about your refund method, contact BankMobile customer care at (877) 327-9515. For security purposes, CMU staff members do not have access to your account information.
5/22/2020: Initial 30-Day Report
7/6/2020: 45-Day Report
7/10/2020: Report 1: Quarter ending 6/30/20*
*Revision posted 7/29/20