Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategic Plan
Developing a plan for Central Michigan University
Near the close of the fall semester and into the spring, the University Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council (UDEIC) worked alongside educational consulting group EAB to chart out a timeline for cultivating and institutionalizing a five-year DEI Strategic Plan. We reviewed past data available in former strategic plans and surveys, which were further contextualized by data emerging from recent OIDEI listening sessions. During the 2021-2022 academic year, we held listening sessions with the following groups:
- Students: Oct. 5 and Nov. 30, 2021 and Feb. 23, 2022
- Faculty: Nov. 16 and 22, 2021
- Staff: November 17 and 30, 2021
- MDEC/FA: April 15, 2022
Our office sought information from the Presidential Student Advisory Network based on listening sessions held from January 26, 2022 through March 25, 2022. We will continue to schedule similar listening sessions with faculty and staff unions in the months ahead.
On April 25, 2022, we presented three emergent priorities to the President’s Executive Cabinet. These priorities will serve as the foundation for the DEI Strategic Plan:
- Diversify Faculty and Staff.
- Equalize Graduation Rates.
- Foster a More Inclusive Community.
On October 3, 2022, the Office for Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is scheduled to release a culture and climate survey to CMU community members. The survey is being administered by the external consultant group, Viewfinder, throughout the month of October. Findings from the survey will further inform the DEI Strategic Planning process, in addition to bolstering institutional aims to enhance opportunities for inclusion and belonging.
COMMUNITY CONVERSATIONS DATES for October 2022 Park 209 l University Library
- 12th from 10:00 am-12:00 pm
- 12th from 5:30 pm-7:30 pm
- 13th from 10:00 am-12:00 pm
- 13th from 1:00 pm-3:00 pm
- 13th from 5:30 pm-7:30 pm
- 24th from 10:00 am-12:00 pm
- 24th from 2:00 pm-4:00 pm
- 24th from 6:00 pm-8:00 pm
- 27th from 10:00 am-12:00 pm
- 27th from 1:00 pm-3:00 pm
- 27th from 5:00 pm-7:00 pm
DEI Strategic Plan timeline
- September 30, 2021: The University Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council held a preliminary SWOT discussion focused on campus climate, DEI initiatives, and academic needs. The UDEIC was introduced to past CMU DEI plans.
- November 30, 2021: The EAB presented a workshop that helped frame the process and planning timeline for UDEIC.
- January 31, 2022: UDEIC continued to review existing data in order to cultivate a coding structure and identify emergent themes.
- February 25, 2022: UDEIC completed a coding review in order to ensure the committee carried a shared understanding of themes and were clear on ways to identify and utilize exemplars.
- March 22, 2022: After continued review of the data, UDEIC established our priorities for the planning process and outlined three emergent themes: (1) Diversify Faculty and Staff, (2) Equalize Graduation Rates, and (3) Foster a More Inclusive Community.
- April 25, 2022: Vice President Patterson-Stephens presented updates on the strategic planning process and priorities to the cabinet for review and feedback.
- June 4, 2022: Select members of institutional leadership were invited to participate in the EAB Institutional Strategy Index for DEIJ. The purpose of this assessment exercise was to help measure the state of DEI efforts on campus and to prioritize future investments. Dimensions that were assessed include: (1) Managing vision and strategy, (2) Reimagining institutional administration, (3) Improving student success, (4) Redesigning student learning, (5) Enhancing faculty and staff experience, and (6) Transforming campus climate.
- August 4, 2022: EAB Institutional Strategy Index for DEIJ results were received by Vice President Patterson-Stephens and shared with institutional leadership for review.
- September 2022: UDEIC continues to meet and revise a first draft of the strategic plan. Vice President Patterson-Stephens is slated to complete an initial review of the draft with EAB and the cabinet prior to publishing the plan for CMU’s community members.
- September 12, 2022: The cabinet met with EAB to review results from CMU’s participation in the Institutional Strategy Index for DEIJ in order to further strategize, as well as to inform the cultivation of a sustainable DEI Strategic Plan.