Leave This Site Safely
  • Your privacy and safety are crucial. 
  • You can quickly leave this website by clicking the ESCAPE button at the bottom of the page. 
  • If you are worried someone may monitor your computer use, be sure to regularly clear your browser history.
  • If you are in immediate danger, call 911.
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions about Sexual Aggression and SAPA

General FAQs

    Sexual aggression is an umbrella term for the following issues: sexual assault, intimate partner violence, domestic violence, stalking, and harassment. 

    There are many options available to those affected by sexual aggression. If you would like more information about a specific experience(s) involving sexual assault, domestic violence/intimate partner violence, stalking, or harassment please see refer to the information on our Find Help page.

    While not all-inclusive, please check our campus resources or our local, state and national resource page. If you are a CMU student and would like more information about counseling, please visit the Counseling Center.

    If you would like to explore these or other options further, please contact SAPA.

    For more information about how to help somebody you care about please click the link below.

    How to Help Someone You Care About

    SAPA is an identified and recognized confidential resource on both campus and state levels. Advocates maintain confidentiality at all times with the following exceptions:

    • ‚ÄčThreat of harm to self or others
    • Suspected or known child and/or vulnerable adult abuse/neglect
    • Judge-signed court orders

    For further information about confidentiality and/or the exceptions to confidentiality please contact the Director, Megan Varner. 

    Yes, there are many other options and resources available to those who do not wish to report an experience. SAPA advocacy services are available to all of those impacted by sexual aggression regardless of whether or not a report has or will be made. 

    Reporting your experiences often depends on a variety of factors (i.e.: where the experience occurred, civil vs. criminal, statute of limitations, student vs. non-student, desired outcome, etc.). Due to the complexity of this, we would recommend contacting SAPA or Sexual Aggression Services to discuss your options in more detail.

    Yes! SAPA services not only include crisis advocacy but also support services. We are here to listen and support in whatever way we can. We offer phone, online chat, and in person services. (Please note, in person services are only available to those located in Mount Pleasant, MI)  

    Beyond discussion of resources, SAPA is also available to simply listen and be there for all those affected by sexual aggression. Support services are available 24/7 during the academic year. 

    Please visit our link regarding Medical options and resources. If you have further questions or wish to discuss these options, please contact SAPA.

    During the academic year, SAPA advocates are available to meet with those affected by sexual aggression in Mount Pleasant, MI. To discuss availability and meeting locations please contact SAPA.

    SAPA advocates are available 24/7 during the academic school year. For additional information regarding specific times of availability, as well as summer services, please visit our contact and resources page.

    Please contact the Director of Sexual Aggression Services and/or fill out a grievance form.

    Grievance Form

     CMU-specific FAQs

      Many of these questions and answers can be found on CMU’s Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity website. CMU’s Sexual Misconduct Policy as well as contact information for this office can also be found here.

      Learn more information about how to become an advocate and how to apply to be a SAPA.

      Many of these questions and answers can be found on CMU’s Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity website.

      CMU offers a safe room in a confidential on-campus location for CMU students affected by sexual aggression. Please contact SAPA to access this resource or discuss this option further.

      Yes. The Sexual Aggression Services department offers consultation, counseling, and support groups. If you have questions regarding these services please contact our Director or SAPA.

      Contact SAPA