It's not just film anymore. Our broadcast and cinematic arts master's program prepares you to work, teach and create within the dynamic world of electronic media. You'll get hands-on experience in one of four concentrations: electronic media studies, electronic media management, electronic media production, or film theory and criticism.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
Take your electronic media knowledge to the next level with an understanding of scholarly or business perspectives. Establish relationships with like-minded peers and faculty in small classroom settings. And have the chance to hone your technical skills as a versatile media producer and creator.
In our rigorous master's in broadcast and cinematic arts program, you'll have the chance to pursue one of four concentrations:
- Electronic Media Studies.
- Electronic Media Management.
- Electronic Media Production.
- Film Theory and Criticism.
You'll combine the theoretical with the practical. You'll complete a final research paper or thesis demonstrating your expertise in your chosen area. And you'll have professional networking opportunities through national organizations, like Alpha Epsilon Rho/National Broadcasting Society and Radio Television Digital News Association.
Some students earning a master's degree in broadcast and cinematic arts pursue doctoral studies at nationally recognized institutions. Others pursue exciting careers in business, broadcasting, media, marketing, teaching, film, music and more.
As a broadcast and cinematic arts student, you'll:
- Specialize in one of four concentrations: electronic media studies, electronic media management, electronic media production and film theory and criticism.
- Gain valuable teaching experience as a GTA with a stipend and full tuition waiver.
- Have the chance to acquire hands-on experience at our award-winning MHTV television station (channel 34 and channel 189), WMHW radio station (Mountain 91.5 and 101.1 The Beat), newscast station (News Central 34 and Sports Central), or record label (Moore Media Records).
- Develop teaching and research skills as preparation for nationally-recognized Ph.D. programs.
Electronic Media Management
You'll gain leadership, management and entrepreneurial knowledge of the electronic media industry through coursework, experienced faculty and visiting speakers. You'll also have the option to craft your own business plan as a final research project. And with access to one-on-on-one advising and entrepreneurship competitions, you'll be prepared for many careers in the electronic media industry. Alumni have gone on to pursue careers at ESPN, Saga Communications, Telemundo Studios, FOX TV 5, the University of Wisconsin, Green Bay and more.
Electronic Media Production
You'll gain hands-on experience in audio and video production as well as advanced critical knowledge of the electronic media field. You'll have the chance to oversee campus radio and TV stations and teach audio lab courses for real-world experience. For your final research project, you can craft a creatively produced work to demonstrate your expertise to employers.
Plus, you'll have access to state-of-the-art equipment, including:
- Two HD FM radio stations with supporting production facilities.
- A complete electronic cinematography production unit.
- A 3-camera HD television studio.
- A digital newsroom with three video editing stations.
- An AV-6 based audio recording studio.
Alumni have gone on to pursue careers at Middle East Broadcasting, PGA Tour Entertainment, National Geographic Wild, Independence Television, Brilliance Audio and more.
Electronic Media Studies
This concentration is ideal for those interested in acquiring a broad knowledge of the electronic media field. It is valuable for pursuing a doctorate degree as well as careers in business, administration and teaching. Alumni have gone on to pursue careers at ESPN, Adult Swim, Misericordia University, Radio Free Europe and more.
Film Theory & Criticism
Careers & Outcomes
A master’s in broadcast and cinematic arts can prepare you for graduate study at the doctorate level as well as for careers in media, business, broadcasting, teaching, film and more.
|Advertising Account Executive||$71,556|
|Associate Professor of Communication and Journalism||$70,967|