Develop computational and theoretical skills that help you solve real-world problems. Our program gives you the tools necessary to excel in our competitive technological society. Prepare for a successful career as a problem solver in nearly any industry or build a foundation for successful graduate studies.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
Whether you plan to pursue a career as a mathematician or want to bring your in-demand skills to another role, a mathematics degree from CMU will help you stand out in the job market.
Here, you’ll work closely with award-winning faculty committed to mentorship. You'll apply the theories and skills you've learned to your own research. You could even get published—our undergraduate work has been presented in various conferences and peer-reviewed mainstream journals such as Canadian Journal of Mathematics, Communications in Algebra, Journal of Biological Systems, Operators and Matrices and Pacific Journal of Mathematics.
You’ll join a close-knit community of analytical thinkers and problem solvers. And you’ll graduate with the tools you need to fully participate in a technological society and a competitive world.
As a mathematics student at CMU, you can:
- Get your work published in peer-reviewed journals.
- Meet some of the world’s best mathematical thinkers at our annual Fleming Lecture Series.
- Get free tutoring at our Mathematics Assistance Centers.
- Get help funding your education with 11 different scholarships available for mathematics students.
- Make connections and Fire Up your experience at CMU by joining Kappa Mu Epsilon, a specialized honor society in mathematics whose goal is to promote interest in mathematics among undergraduate college students.
Careers & Outcomes
A degree in mathematics prepares you for a fulfilling career in various fields such as data science, computer science, operations research or academia. A mathematics degree is also good preparation for graduate school and professional programs in medicine, business or law.
|Operations Research Analyst||$85,720|
|Financial Quantitative Analyst||$95,570|
Math Student Wins Goldwater Scholarship
Austin Konkel is CMU’s third student to win the prestigious award.