Earn a minor in multimedia design to blend art with technology. Develop skills in graphic design, video/audio production, photography or computer programming that will prepare you for careers in business, advertising, publishing, computer gaming and more.
Why This Program & What You'll Learn
The multimedia design minor prepares you for the rapidly growing and exciting world of media technology. Gain foundational design principles in art and design, journalism, computer science, advertising and more. This minor is perfect for complementing any major and diversifying your professional skill set.
Learn from faculty with professional design experience in our smaller classroom settings. This unique minor lets you focus on a single related area as well. From computer gaming to graphic design, you'll graduate with tailored experience that aligns with your career goals.
Our program highlights the importance of hands-on experience. Work at our high-quality digital publication Grand Central Magazine. Dive in at our award-winning campus TV stations, radio stations, or newscast stations. Or pursue internship opportunities at places like The Associated Press, Warner Music Group, Grand Rapids Press and the Detroit Lions.
You'll also have access to networking opportunities through national organizations. This includes the Alpha Epsilon Rho/National Broadcasting Society and Radio Television Digital News Association.
Multimedia design courses are held in computer, audio and video labs which means you'll have access to cutting-edge hardware and software technology in computer programming, graphic design and audio/video production.
As a multimedia design student here, you'll:
- Focus in your desired area, such as graphic design, photography, video/audio production, computer gaming and more.
- Join a community of accomplished and award-winning alumni – department of journalism alumni have gone on to work at The Washington Post, The New York Times and win awards like Pulitzer Prizes.
- Work for CMU's Grand Central Magazine and/or award-winning campus TV stations, radio stations or newscast stations.
- Pursue internships at places like the Detroit Free Press, Michigan Hockey magazine, Pear Creative and more.
- Central Michigan University is also an Adobe Creative Campus, offering students and faculty free access to the Adobe suite of programs.
Careers & Outcomes
With a minor in multimedia design you can open the door to a number of design-related careers in journalism, publishing, film and television, advertising, computer gaming and more.
|Graphic Designer/Desktop Publisher||$50,810|