Participate in the development of CMU's next multiyear strategic plan
Central Michigan University’s current strategic plan, Advancing Excellence, expires at the end of 2022. We are undertaking a strategic planning process to develop a new plan to guide our university forward.
The CMU Board of Trustees charged a Strategic Planning Executive Committee to create structures and processes to gather broad-based input from the university community and the wider community. Initial gathering took place throughout the
The new strategic plan will build upon the work already underway and/or completed in the strategic envisioning process, and will clearly differentiate CMU in meaningful ways from other institutions across Michigan. The final plan will outline a clear path to guide CMU forward using SMART goals as we navigate the changing landscape of higher education. We are eager for your participation throughout the process.
Committee structure and membership
The Central Michigan University Board of Trustees has a leadership role in the strategic planning process and has ultimate decision-making authority over the university's mission and vision statements and the overall strategic plan. Members of the greater university community also have an important role to play in developing and formulating the mission and vision, as well as the plan itself.
CMU has adopted a multifaceted structure to engage stakeholders in this process. The links below navigate to descriptions of each of the groups that will play significant roles in the planning process. Please visit each page to view an overview of each group's responsibilities and membership.
- Strategic Planning Executive Committee (SPEC)
- Strategic Planning Team (SPT)
- Strategic Planning Advisory Council (SPAC)
- Strategic Envisioning Advisory Team (SEAT)
Campus update sessions
The updates to campus may be viewed in the presentation and campus update session below.
Learn more about CMU's strategic plan by viewing the document below.
The Strategic Planning Team hosted campus engagement sessions throughout Spring 2023. The SPT aims to present a draft plan to the Board of Trustees in June 2023. After incorporating proposed edits, the SPT will share an update with the campus community in late August. The final proposed plan will be presented to the Board of Trustees in September 2023.
Stakeholder engagement opportunities held to date
Friday, Feb. 10 at 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. in French Auditorium (EHS Building)
Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. in the Bovee University Center Auditorium
Students, Faculty and Staff
- Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. in the Bovee University Center Auditorium
- Friday, March 17 at 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. inFrench Auditorium (EHS Building)
- Monday, April 24, 2023 at 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. in Biosciences Room 1010
- Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. in French Auditorium (EHS 118)
Focused engagement sessions
- Student Government Association
- Board of Trustees
- President's Cabinet
- Provost's Advisory Council
- Senior Leadership Team
- Divisional leaders
- Senate Executive Board
- Academic Senate
- Academic Colleges
- Budget Priorities Committee
- Council of Chairs
- Innovation and Online unit
- Alumni, major donors, former Trustees, members of Alumni and Advancement boards
- Local and state government partners
- Local and state business and civic leaders
- Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribal Council
- Greater Mount Pleasant community, which may include representatives from the Chamber of Commerce, Convention and Visitors Bureau, economic development committees, business owners and landlords.